Whats the difference between a receiving blanket and a regular baby blanket?

I have several blankets that have been given to me and I need to know w hich one to pack to bring the baby home in

Kaivarii

Asked by Kaivarii at 5:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• A receiving blanket is the one they wrap up the baby in when it's born. They are usually smaller to "swaddle" the baby(like a little burrito LOL). usually they come in three packs from say, gerber. they are the ones you use to wrap your little one in. A regular blanket would be like a comforter thickness or one of those "floor blankies" that you can put the baby on.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Oh i forgot to add, depending on the weather wherever you are, you may want to bring a larger baby blanket(comforter one) to throw over the baby's car seat until you get them in the car. Just drape it over the seat, not directly onto baby's face.(i'm sure you knew that LOL, just wanted to explain more detail there LOL) Good luck!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have a couple that are made from thin polar fleece. shoulld I still get actual receiving blankets?
    Kaivarii

Answer by Kaivarii at 5:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yes! Receiving blankets will become your best friend. I have about 10 and it seems like I'm always running out. They make perfect burb rags. They make great changing cloths. When you're inside and you don't need thick or fleece blankets but still want your little one wrapped up they're the answer. On top of all that they're something about the cloth they're made of that it they don't really stain easy. Even the thick tar like baby poop comes out.
    jrsjrb

Answer by jrsjrb at 5:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I also recommend stocking up on them. They are small and light and can be used for many things: burping, wrapping the baby in a light blanket, tucking in the diaper bag to have something to lay the baby on, as a cover for nursing, and so forth.

Answer by Bmat at 6:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Reciving blankets, thin and light so you can wrap baby up:

Regular baby blankets, thicker, more for covering baby:

Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Plus, as the other moms said, receiving blankets can be used for so much more! They are definatly handy to have a bunch!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2010