Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my ex's gf enrolled my son in that even legal?

so she put herself down as my sons legal guardian and totally ignored to fill in the part about his mom(me). so the school is telling me i cant pick him up from school. wtf? is that even legal?

Answer Question

Asked by Malex09 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (29)
  • No that's not legal at all. It's severely illegal, and absolutely worth pressing charges/taking action.

    Answer by redderbedder at 6:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • NO! it is not. But in order for you to prove other wise you need to bring them the custody paperwork....I am not even sure how she did that. I had to have custody papers to enroll my son and he lives with me...His dad lived in another state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • no. highly ILLEGAL. you can press criminal charges, and I most certainly would. like pp said, you need to prove that he IS your child, and that you have legal custody.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • well i tried showing the school the parenting plan and they just blew me off saying the school wont get involved in this. what kind of world are we living in if a stranger has more right to a child they just happened to live with at the moment then his own mother ?

    Answer by Malex09 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • You weren't there to enroll him in school? If he has custody he had the right to enroll him. She did not have the right to put herself as a legal guardian but if she's the one living in the household helping to take care of him, her name should be on those forms as well.


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • Wow that's not legal at all! You should contact the Superintendent. Go as far up as you have to to get answers and a solution. The school is saying they don't get involved because they know they screwed up by letting her enroll your son in school and they're trying to cover their asses. You should take him and his little gf to court, press charges, and then turn around and sue the school. I'm not sue-happy by any means, but sometimes the only way to get through to institutions is to hit their reputation and their bank accounts. Best of luck to you hun.

    Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • If he has full legal custody he can approve who he wants notified. Have him go with you and be put on. My dd had me put on to be able to pick up my grandson. It's as easy as that.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • no iwas not there to enroll him because on his visitaion he moved with my son to a new house without telling me. i been fighting him ever since to get my son back.

    Answer by Malex09 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • its actually not easy at all eventho ppl seem to think so. i am supposed 2 have legal custody but my ex deceidet to just keep my son and refuse to let me see him. however one of the cops i called and ask for help told me that noone ever followes parenting plans anyway even if they have been aproved by the court. so i guess u can just kidnapp any kid of the street and enroll them in school without legal paperwork and the school will back u up as long as u r on the papers.

    Answer by Malex09 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • Anyone can enroll a child in school. I enrolled my SS and made it so only me and hubby can pick him up. Now he is adopted but when school started I had no custody. If you have custody papers show them to the school they will release him and change the info. If you don't then talk to BD. you can't sue or complain.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 7:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.