Did you foster before adopting?

For those who have or are adopting an older child, did you do foster parenting first (not for that specific child as in foster-adopt)? Or did you look into adoption only?

mrsjoeljr

Asked by mrsjoeljr at 6:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Adoption

• Hi! I was my daughters foster mom prior to adoption but my son was a straight adoption from foster care. You do not have to be a foster parent to adopt from foster care at all. There are waiting children in every state. Good luck!

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My 3 daughters were straight adoption with my first husband. He didn't even want to think about doing foster care. My second husband is all for foster care which we are foster parents. Currently no placements but it's been a nice break this past year. We're actually thinking of adopting a 13 year old boy who is part of my husband's Boy Scout troop. They are supposed to be terminating parent rights soon. Great kid and wants to live in the country to boot! We haven't said anything to him yet because until things are finalized and social services say it's ok I don't want to get his hopes up. You never know what could happen.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:17 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• We didn't have children & started foster care in order to adopt a child whose parents couldn't raise him/her. We did want an infant or toddler because we wanted to parent "from the beginning". We learned that our chances of getting an infant were slim, but wanted that bonding during the 12-18 months that the parents have to get their children back, in case a child was ready for adoption. Our first placement came to us straight from the hospital at 2 days old and went to family after 4 months. Our 2nd placement came to us at 6 months, we had him almost a year when they terminated parental rights, and another year on appeal. We finally did adopt him after 25 months in our care. We learned that fostering gave us empathy for his birth parents as we waited the outcome of the case. I know who his mother is, have a great fondness for her, and will be able to answer some (but not all) questions for him when he asks.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:41 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

• We did foster-adopt. In our state you have to be foster parents first in order to adopt an older or "waiting" child. Most states work this way.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• i fostered for years before adopting my two. i didn't plan on adoption but that is what the lord had planned
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 10:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2010