I am having trouble with breastfeeding...

He seems to just get too frustrated if he cant latch on his first try and then stops trying most of the time, i've been pumping and also using formula but i would love to breastfeed, he is 2 1/2 weeks old is it possible it could be too late to breastfeed? Also the hospital I went to offered little help with the breast feeding situation.

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go to http://www.laleche.com. They have wonderful tips on breast feeding. It is challenging and frustrating at first, but you both will get it. It's not too late hun, you can still do it. A good friend of mine is training to be a lactation consultant. If you have any other questions, I can have her contact you on here. She gives awesome advice! (Breastfed her first for 18 months I believe, and her second is almost a year and she still nurses him. She's a pro! lol)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 6:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think going to the hospital was a great idea. I saw a lactation consultant with my first child and this is how she taought me: Sit up straight. Support baby on Boppy (or whatever you have) and if holding baby to left breast, hold baby and head with right hand. Pinch left breasts near aereola with left hand. Rub nipple on babys lower lip. Baby will open wide and "pop" baby's head onto nipple really swift, really fast! lol Let go of pinching aereola immediately when latched. Wait avbout 20-30 seconds. Switch arms and with right thumb, adjust baby's upper lip by folding up over aereola and do same to bottom lip.

You cn also try LaLecheLeague.com for great tips!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• contact la leche league. and see if you can find an Lactation Consultant and is not too late, now is he were like 6 mts then yeah. maybe you should try a nipple shield. if you go to lal leche legue website, they have a area where you put your zip code and they tell you where are moms who are expert breastfeeders. and they come to your house and help you out
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• thanks for the advice guys, i actually just went out and he breastfed for about 20 min and is now passed put so thank you and hopefully we can keep it up no problem
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• If you have any future problems, you can ask an LC about a "supplementer" which is what I had to use with my 4th to teach him to breastfeed - it meant supplementing with formula for a couple of weeks, but it was stimulating my breasts at the same time to produce more.

Answer by missanc at 8:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Also joing a breastfeeding moms group on cafemom. And the site http://www.kellymom.com/  has a wealth of info. As well as http://www.drjacknewman.com/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You shouldnt have to suppliment with formula....just keep nursing on demand for as long as baby needs to feed, dont time your feeding, dont schedule your feedings, just nurse whenever your baby seems hungry and let baby stay at the breast as long as needed. If you do this, im almost positive that you will be fine!

www.kellymom.com is a WONDERFUL website for breastfeeding mothers, honestly, if you are having an issue or have a question I can almost gaurentee that kellymom will have your answer! its great!
    Also, seek the help of an IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) if you need it.
    Search to see if there is a local chapter of the Le Leche Legue in your local area, go to the meetings! It will help and encourage you to be around other nursing mothers, and the information available will be very valuable to you.
    The breastfeeding group here at cafemom is great also, check it out!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 8:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2010