belly button obsession?

My 16 month old is fascinated by her (and everyone else's) belly button. I thought it was cute until I realized that she was digging in hers constantly. I tried cutting her nails, but she was in her belly button so much that now it's torn apart all scabbed up and she's REALLY upset about it. I put an "X" with bandaids and colloidal silver in there, and put her in a onesie. But every diaper change/potty time, every bath, every clothes change and at night (I can't dress her in long pajamas, it's 80 degrees here right now) she's pulling off the bandaids, digging in her belly button, and crying about it when she rips off the scab and it starts bleeding and hurting her again. What should I do about this? I can't even say "belly button" in front of her, she shoves 2 fingers in there. Suggestions?

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 6:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep her in a onesie so she can't get to it, unfortuanetly it's a phase that most kids go through. You could also try to get the bigger rectangle bndages that have sticky adheive on all four sids so that she can't easily peel off the bandaid.
    Anonymous

• put protrolum jelly in there or triple oitment. it will be all greasy and she may not want to mess with it. my little one was like that but now it moved to elbows.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010