best cut of meat for tender pot roast?

I made the juiciest and most tender pot roast I've ever tasted a couple years back. My husband said that it was better than both his and my mom's (italian and southern background). A really helpful meat cutter at the grocery store showed me exactly what to get, last time I made it the clerks weren't as knowledgeable and couldn't help me. For a more tender roast (not chewy and tough) should I go for more fat or more muscle? I can never remember please help!

Tkelly3

Asked by Tkelly3 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You want good marbling through the whole thing - the leaner it is, the tougher it's gonna be. Marbling is the thin "veins" of fat that run through the meat. The more marbling the better. But any cut can come out incredibly if you just cook it right - I've had the cheap "nasty" cuts come out just as tender as the more expensive cuts. Chuck is my preference if I have to buy it at the store, but we butcher our own steer once a year. I used to work in a meat market but I prefer the "whatever" cuts from our steers over a specific store/market cut.
    Anonymous

• A chuck roast is what I usually use and that comes out perfect. Or a bottom round
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• chuck roast.- season and brown then add beef broth and veggies then cover and cook it low and slow
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I always use beef shoulder. If you cook it in the crock pot long enough it gets very tender and has a good flavor. I always flavor it with a steak seasoning and its delicious
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2010