How would you feel if your children changed religions

This is based off the question about how Catholics would feel if their kids changed religions.

Would it depend on how different the religion was from your own?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For the most part I could respect any beliefs or religion my kids decided to be part of. I'm sure if they became part of a group that isolated its followers I would have a problem with this because I would view it as a cult, but otherwise I'd be okay with it and I would support them.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My Children are free to follow what ever spiritual path makes them feel at home. I will support what ever their calling may be. My religious beliefs are all encompassing, I don't believe there is any ONE right path, but that they all lead to the same place, destiny simply calls to us each from different paths.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with RyansMom001. I would be supportive as long as it wasn't a cult. My Mom allowed me, as a pre-teen, to change from Catholicism to Non-Denominational.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• The only thing Id be disappointed/upset with is if their newfound religion made them become pushy and annoying about their beliefs.

Id be thrilled if they found a spirituality that brought them peace and joy but I dont wanna have it shoved in my face and have to be told Im going to hell or any of that nonsense.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with you Amaranth361. I would support them, but I also want them to respect the fact that I'm not changing my religion. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me in the least. It means my child had researched and thought about what really speaks to them. I'd be totally supportive of their choice. No converting mom and no damning her to hell though.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'm not raising my kids to follow any particular faith- we talk a lot about what various faiths believe. I wouldn't be disappointed if my kids choose another religious path, however, though I have to admit that it might bother me if my kids used religion as a reason to discriminate, or if they were pushy about it and constantly trying to change my mind. If that was the case we would need to set up some boundaries about those topics.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would be devasted and very upset.
    seashore29

Answer by seashore29 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Once she's an adult...whatever religion she chooses I will support 100%.

Only rule is...no proselytizing in my house...that's just rude.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'd be supportive as long as she wasn't pushing it on everyone. She'd be the one changing her beliefs not me
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 11:52 AM on Jan. 26, 2010