violent BF?

My 16 month old is so violent when she breastfeeds, she's tearing me apart. It makes me not want to nurse her, but she's just so attached to me (in a good way) and I just started school and she just started daycare so it wouldn't be a good time to wean her. But she is hurting me a LOT. She doesn't bite, just sucks hard and then pushes at me or tries to roll away, my nipples are so raw, if I try to get her to be more gentle she just cries or keeps doing the same thing. I can take her off and let her cry for a second, but when I put her back she stays being violent. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when she starts to become violen put her down and walk away. come back about 5 minutes later and try again.she is old enough to understand she needs to be gentle.otherwise i hateto say it it may be time to wean.:(
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 7:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Wean
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have to agree, it's time to wean her even though you do not want to. I just thought of something though... What are you doing when she does this? (watching tv, or talking to hubby?) Maybe it's her way to have your full attention? Not that the reason she would be doing it is okay, just saying that maybe this is her way to keep your attention with the change of you going back to work and her in daycare. Maybe when you nurse her go to another room or talk to her while you feed her??? Sing to her or read a book to her??
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 7:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• This is the OP. I nurse in our bed in the morning and at night, there's no TV in there so it's just us. I think she's just upset and wants me closer to her, and I understand that, but I want her not to hurt me. I've already tried stroking her hair and singing to her, but she's just so needy.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think you need to wean she is showing that she is too much for your body, and she doesn't need to be BF anymore.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My daughter is 10mos old buuuut I taught her the word 'gentle' with the dogs so she doesn't pull their ears, poke their butts, etc., and the same word works well when she grabs and twists while nursing...I just say 'gentle Autumn' and she gets nicer...maybe something like that would help? That, or pinch her. I know it sounds kinda bad but that's how I got my daughter to stop biting. Everytime she bit I gave her a little pinch in the leg. She'd cry, but she also stopped biting after a couple of test runs. If you can't get anything to work though I would wean her. She doesn't HAVE to nurse now, after all.
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010