this is so disgusting

my son who is 4 is pottytrained...but sometimes he likes to start to go in his room and wipe poop on stuff before he goes to the toilet. he just did it a half hour ago and i really lost my temper... i feel guilty but this has to stop. its gross and totally unsanitary. it is hard to explain it all to him because he is really behing on talking and communication stills...he doent really understabd the "why" he shouldnt do it, but know its not ok . what do i do!!!??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My nephew did this as well. He is autistic. Have you had him checked?
    Anonymous

• Just because he does not talk that well does not mean he does not understand you when you tell him "NO do not do that".

Answer by louise2 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• "We do NOT do that" and then have him clean the walls and whatever else he has covered. He may be behind in verbal communication but the consequence will get the message across loud and clear. No words needed. You do "x" then you also need to do "y and z" as a consequence.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• my daughter did this. until i showed her how nasty it was. when she poops in the potty we congradulate her, and when she was smearing it on things, we would just act really disgusted with her and tell her how nasty it was. she got the hint.
    Anonymous

• behind on communication and poop smearing are both indications of autism. but most kids on the spectrum that do that (poop smear) do so out of fustration. sounds like you lo is checking if he has poop in his butt before he goes in there. just teach him to go wash his hand and make him clean up the poop. yes it is Super Gross!!! my child poop smeared once when he was 2, i freaked out, which i never do so he was shocked and never did it again.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2010