Okay, spin off of ~ How would you feel if your children changed religions...

I just answered RyansMom001's question about How would you feel if your children changed religions and noticed that the lady after me said her mother allowed her to change from Catholic to Non-Denom. Which is what made me ask this...

Would you support your child in a religion switch to a religion with COMPLETELY different beliefs? To support a switch in denominations is one thing because most of the basic beliefs are the same. But how would you react if your child chose to become Pagan, Satanist or Atheist instead of Christian. OR of course Christian instead of on of the others... Would you support their choices at that point? And do you feel you have the right to judge your grown child for religious choices if you don't agree with them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would support my child no matter what. It is their life, and I have no control over what path their life leads them down.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• would I "support" them, no? I can not stand in their way, since religion is something that is contained in the holds of your mind, belief is not physical, so there truly is no stopping someone. I agree with very few people in my life (regarding religion) and yet we all seem to get along just fine with this simple rule- don't preach ate me, I won't lecture you. we agree to disagree. if I thought that my child (close friend or family member) were doing something harmful, then I would say so. otherwise, what I believe is not their problem, and likewise theirs is not mine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they weren't indoctrinated.  I don't believe that I have the right to chose my children's religion any more than I have the right to chose their career or their spouse.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• yes, i would be upset. would i accept it?...i wouldn't have a choice to accept or not. whatever he decides, would be totally on him. i'd continue to pray for him, and to seek wisdom regarding our family as a whole. - this is what i answered this morning when a similar post appeared.
    do i feel i can 'judge' my grown child? youbetcha! although, i'm not sure 'judging' would be used in the same context as some. i'd continue to question his choices, until I was completely sure his mind was solid and sober in his decision-making...how long would that take? probably until i died. it is my job as a xtian mother to bring my child up in the ways of God..that means teaching/admonishing/educating/praying and blessing him with what he needs to be equipped as a child of Heaven..and with God as my witness, he'll never go too far that he can't hear God calling him back 'home'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would still support them
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would support them unless they were doing things to hurt other people because of the religious choice.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with Beeky.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would support any educated choice. I would not support a miraculous conversion to whatever religion his girlfriend's family practiced 2 weeks after they start dating. Fortunately it will be a while before that comes up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would still support them, even if their beliefs were very different from my own. Though I agree with NotPanicking that I think a certain degree of thought and education should go into that decision. I would honestly be happy because dh and I have been trying to show them that people with different beliefs can live together harmoniously and respectfully- dh and I don't have the same beliefs, and our family backgrounds are very different. There is a lot of room for diversity in this family, whatever they choose. I practice a totally different faith than my own family of origin, and I appreciate the fact that my family was accepting, did not badger me about it, and genuinely seemed glad that I had found something that worked for me spiritually. I wouldn't do any less for my own kids!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Once she's an adult...whatever religion she chooses I will support 100%.

Only rule is...no proselytizing in my house...that's just rude.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010