how many ultra sounds can you have?Can you ask to have another one ?

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant and have had three ultrasounds..I had my first @ 6 weeks to check how far along i was , another at 12 weeks and and 18 week ultrasound to check for any chromosone disorders. All have come clear. However i was wanting to have another one to see how things are moving along ,when i asked how many more you have, the mid wife said none unless there seems to be a problem in growth etc. If i have had know you only get three i would have liked to space it out more so i can see the baby again .Can you ask the doctor to have another one.

joannawu

Asked by joannawu at 7:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can,but insurance wont pay for it,and they're like $400
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• well it depedns on your isnurance , but no you cannot request one just cuz you wnat anotehr one. unless you pay out of pocket
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It depends on your insurance. I had 7 u/s with my DD, but that's because I was high risk, and 2 of those took place in the ER in my first trimester.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 7:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• i had probably ten, none at my request. you can do one of those 3d u/s usually for around 150 bucks or so with a video and pics for you.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You can ask for one at any time. My OB never turned in a request to insurance if he thought they might not cover it, he just did it for me - I have had several with each pregnancy (I had one at each visit with my 3rd pregnancy until around 32 weeks to figure out the sex). My current OB will do one of the new u/s with a DVD copy for $150.

Answer by missanc at 8:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• most will only give 1. really more than that is just a waste of money. also imo it's always good to limit ultrasound expsoure.
    Anonymous

• My insurance only covered one and my dr did that one just after 20 weeks with all of mine
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I had my first u/s at 10 weeks to see how far along I was. Just had the 2nd at 20 weeks for the anatomy check and the baby wouldn't tell us what it was. I asked at my last appt this past Friday to see about getting another one and was told probably not until about 30 weeks to check baby again.
    nini_78

Answer by nini_78 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I highly recommend the the 3D experience. Its amazing!
    Rileysmom425

Answer by Rileysmom425 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I am 15 weeks right now and so far have had 4 of them. 2 because I was bleeding in the beginning,1 to find out size and dates and the last one because when I went to see the doc she couldn't find the heartbeat with the dopler...Its dependant on the doc. If they will auth another one the insurance should pay for it..but its best to find out before hand.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010