Do you think a Catholic priest should be able to marry?

I am a Byzantine Catholic, which means we are in communion with Rome but celebrate differently. In our rite priest can be married as long as he is married before he becomes ordained. After he is ordained he cannot marry (even if his wife dies). A Roman Catholic friend of ours is VERY against this practice. I totally understand that there is vocation to a celibate life, but not for everyone.
What is your opinion of married clergy in the church? Do you think it takes away from their ability to serve the parish?

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 7:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No I do not think the church should change its rules because some people do not like them.
    Anonymous

• How can a Priest concentrate on God and serve the church 100% if he's worried about the fight he had with his wife last night over the remote or his mind keeps wandering to the amazing blow job she gave in the car on the way to Bingo instead of listening to the person in the confessional?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• While I see no issue with religious figures marrying, I can understand why it would be looked down upon. For a man to give himself 100% to God it would be impossible to marry and support a family as well, because at least SOME of his attention, affection, time and devotion would have to go to his family, thus taking away from his religious devotions and convictions.

I also understand that Priests are men - no more. And that they have needs and should have the right to a wife. Biblically God's first commandment was to "Go forth and prosper" and by not allowing Priests to marry you are denying them the opportunity to carry that out.

That said, Priests CHOOSE to become Priests, it's not something that is decided for them. So, they are choosing to give up these freedoms...

I guess it's really a double edged blade. I see the reasoning on both ends.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• The only thing I could really say either way is that Priests from many other paths (Christian and Non) marry, have children and are still able to carry out their Priestly duties. Why would Catholic Priests be any different? But I do agree with anon - the Catholic church has been established for Hundreds of years, if you don't like the rules applied to their Priesthood, don't become a Catholic Priest.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It wouldn't bother me if priests married but I do think its hard to be committed to the church if you are married and have a family to raise. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I believe that in order for a priest to be in corpus christi during important rituals that he needs to walk the path that Jesus did here on earth serving God and his people. When you are married your priorities are always family first then God, and that was not what Jesus intended.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I thnk if being a married priest isn't interfering with a man's service to the church then it's highly likely that it's interfering with his duties to his family. For a married priesthood to work "right" it requires compromise on both sides - the family and the church - so that neither side might not be getting all they deserve from the man and the man is in a very stressful position of having two "masters" to serve. Obviously it's not impossible, but it takes a very special man, family, and church community to make it work. And the heirarchial structure and cultre of Eaterns Rites is different than the Latin/Roman rite Just because it works for them doesn't mean it would be easy or successful for the Latin Rite. After all Eastern Rites have had centuries to work with married priests and even they don't have married bishops.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• So at this point in time I don't see the need for the Latin Rite to abandon the theological, cultural, and practical reasons that they have a celibate clergy.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I'm torn about this for a couple of reasons. First, the Eastern Rite allows married priests and it looks like the Vatican will also allow the Anglican Church (who also allows married priests) to come into full communion with the Church. Those priests seem to be effective leading their churches and raising a family, even though I don't personally know any of them. I think that it would be harder being the WIFE of a priest than a married priest. The wife would have to be second in priority to the Church. How does that make for a good relationship? Not a snarky question, it's sincere.

I do know a few non-Catholic pastors IRL and they don't seem to have quite the work load as our priest. Perhaps because they have smaller congregations?

OP: Do you happen to know how many married priests that there are in the Orthodox Church?
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Hello, I recenly found out there were other rites in our religion a few years ago. Now, I am starting to meet Eastern Catholics more and more. I also found we have a Byantine church here in our area. I am thinking about visiting the church a few times. Can you tell me a little about the dress code? I normally go to church in jeans and a shirt.

As for married priest I don't care either way but I do agree it might be hard to concentrate 100% on God.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010