Indiana specifically - does the state allow water to be disconnected in winter?

I know when I worked for a utility in Illinois, it was their rule they would not shut off when there were freezing temperatures. My in-laws have a disconnect notice and say they don't need to worry about it because they "aren't allowed" to shut off in winter here. I've been looking, but I can't find anything one way the other for water service in IN. (and they'll be wanting to use our launrdy and shower until it's fixed) I don't have the money to help them, but if they don't do something their pipes will probably freeze later this week if they are shut off. Does anyone know for SURE (link would be preferred)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Usually they CAN shut if off unless you make payment arrangements OR you provide documentation showing you have applied for utility assistance.
    Anonymous

• http://liheap.ncat.org/Disconnect/SeasonalDisconnect.htm
    Anonymous

• Pipes won't freeze if the water is shut off but call the company and ask. They are the ones who know. You don't have to give a name.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• In many communities there are agencies that will help pay utilities if there is a disconnect notice. Just call a place like the Salvation Army and ask them what agencies to call if they can't help.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I don't think it's a state thing, call the municipality they live in and ask. I think unless the pipes are winterized, they will freeze because water will still be in the lines. Can they pay anything on their bill? Have they attempted to make arrangements for payment?
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 25, 2010