How far back can you trace your family tree? Do you have this information written down in an official family book or bible?

I started my family tree book and can't seem to get past my great grandparents. How do you suggest I proceed from this point? My Mom's an only child and in the beginning stages of Dementia. My Dad, who was raised in an orphanage, recently passed. The few family members I knew are starting to drop (die) like flies!

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 7:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• I use FamilySearch.org . It's a website provided by the LDS church.

Anonymous

• My mother used Ansestry.com - she got back to 1416 - in one branch of the family. Remember for each person you find there are two branches of their parents and each of them have 2 branches - it gets bigger each generation back. You have to look in birth, death, and marriage records.
    One of the interesting things she found is that we thought the family came from Germany. She found that they had immigrated from Russia to Germany in the 1700's.
    She also learned that the name was changed from Mercke to Merzke when that side of the family immigrated to America.
    Ellis Island has many records too - I'm not sure if you can access any of them at home online.
    GL - I bet you find some interesting information.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I meant tot add that it's a pretty cool website and it's free. They also have family history centers at some of their churches where anyone who wants to can go in and get help with their family history.
    Anonymous

• i know nothing about my paternal side... other than the name of the sperm bank, and a sperm donor number. :( my maternal side, we can trace back to the czech republic... my great great great grandparents...
    Anonymous

• My Mom has a cousin who traced family roots to 1460, when the family left Spain during in Inquisition. He spent many years on this project, and took several trips to Germany and Spain.

A cousin of my Dad's traced the family back to the mid 1800's in what is now Ukraine.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I was able to do mine on Ancestry.com. Also I found a cousin I had played with as a child but lost contact for nearly 40 years and she has been doing our family ancestry for the last 20 years so she has lots of information. I love ancestry.com It is a paid subscription but to me it is worth it. I never knew my dad until 2 years ago, at the age of 47 I finally met him. I have been able to trace his side of the family back to Switzerland when an ancestor brought his wife and 3 boys over from Switzerland to the Carolinas (I think??) in 1735 on the ship named Mercury. It's very cool. My mother's side of the family is English/French/Irish and my father's side is Switzerland/Germany. I found that my great-grandmother on my dad's side, her parents were born in Germany but that's as far as I got with them as they were deceased and not much info on them. It's all on computer and I'm trying to print out hard copies.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 4:08 PM on Jan. 25, 2010