is this normal?

from the time my 4 yo girl (will be 5 in march) is up (no later than 8am) to the time she goes to sleep she is HYPER! she hates to go to bed and take naps. i mean she cannot seem to sit still for more than a few min. she seems to constantly fidget and move and is all over me all the time. i dont want to think negative but omg she is wearing me out and we have 2 younger kids to take care of. since she was born, she is/was like 2 or 3 kids all by herself. anyone else going through this?

Babiluv80

Asked by Babiluv80 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i know how you feel mines is 5 and she NEVER STOPS!!! she never sits still always moving, messing with something... she's not bad she just never ever ever sits still lol
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• it just sounds like she has alot of energy she needs to be getting rid of. I would get her involved in gymnastics or karate or something...maybe let her play outside more just to burn some of that energy off.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• talk to your doc....
    Anonymous

• see what you can do to burn the energy...i used to make my brother run laps around the house! in the winter you could jumprope or do jumping jacks. kids are supposed to be active, does she have a mini trampoline? she doesn't eat too much sugar or foods w/ preservatives and or food colorings in them does she? these things have been known to make hyper kids more hyper!
    good luck! sounds exhausting!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It sounds pretty much like a normal 5 yr old! I agree with burning the energy, my son is in school now but when he isn't we do tons of stuff like sledding, bowling, playing kick ball, riding bikes, anything that will wear him out!lol I watch a child with adhd and I know my son doesn't have that he just has a lot of energy, and wants my 100% attention all the time! Just keep her busy, that should help and the last person is right try to minimize sugars. When you are giving her sugar have some big activity to do afterwards! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 9:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• One thing to think of is how does she do when she needs to focus? Hyperness if very normal but it really becomes a problem if she cannot focus to finish a task. It doesn't have to be a long task, maybe 10-15 minutes.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 3:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2010