7 month old with separation anxiety??

My son gets SO upset if I leave the room...or even just move out of sight. He FLIPS out and starts screaming...and he never wants to be held by anyone but me....if someone is holding him, and he sees me, he tries throwing himself out of their arms to me....is this normal so young? I don't spoil him...I don't hold him all day..he mostly crawls around on the floor playing with his toys and his 2 yr old sister...so why is he like this? And is there anything I can do to make it stop....it makes it difficult to get anything done....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NORMAL! Perfectly normal. It will get better, but you're going to have to deal with it for a while.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yes - this is about the age it starts. For my son, it got much better when he was more mobile and could follow me around. Until then, I just tried to stay in his eyesight. You can try playing peekaboo around the corner so he knows you're coming back and then gradually lengthening the time you're gone, but it's such a short time that they are usually that worried about you leaving for just a minute.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He isn't spoiled. And even if you held him 24/7 he still wouldn't be spoiled. You can only spoil children with THINGS not with affection.

That said. He's perfectly normal. There is little you can do to make it stop as it is a normal developmental milestone. Babies are hardwired for that stage of development. The things that you need doing and can't be put off you can do with him in the room, or carry him in a sling, or let the lesser chores keep until naptime. Babies learn a lot by watching and they get enjoyment out of it He will outgrow the stage. The more you reassure him that you haven't disappeared the more secure he will feel. Remember that when you look back on this you will reminisce about his attachment to you, not about chores.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He's been crying for 7 minutes because he can't see me over the couch. I'm sitting at the computer and he is behind the couch that is behind me....this is getting ridiculous. I HATE hearing him cry, but I don't wanna jump every time he cries. He's not wet, he's not hungry, he's not tired...he's just SCREAMING for NO REASON AND I AM GOING TO LOSE MY FLIPPIN MIND
    Anonymous

• awww, he's a wittle ma-mas boy :)
    I know it can get frustrating...hang in there.
    Let me tell you..my son was the same way. Then as he got older...wooo hooo,lol.
    I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him. When I would..he would sit outside the door pounding on it and screaming for "mommy mommy" and soon as I came out, tears dried up and he was fine,lol. Till this day (and now he is 9) every time I am in that bathroom, he has to find a reason to knock on that door. He has to pee. He has to poop. He forgot a toy in the bathtub.LOL. It drives me nuts and I count to 100 often, LOL.
    Take a deep breath,let him cry for a little..he will be okay.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• He is NOT screaming for no reason. You ahve to understsand that comfort and affection for babies is NEED not a want!! He is screaming for you because he is hardwired to! You are GONE...dissappeared...do not exist to him. He has no concept of time. He doesn't know you are right there when he can't see you. It is a scary thing. Go get him! He is NOT doing it to annoy you.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• This is normal, and is a sign of how well bonded the two of you are. get a sling or other carrier and wear your baby; you will both be more relaxed.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010