what to do about a slight foot sprain?

So I stepped in a crack on the side walk and so I have a sprain under my toes, about the middle of my foot and then on the side,it's not my ankle that's hurting.Does anyone know what I should do about it beides putting a ice pack on it and not walking much?I ment to say besides..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Health

• Ice massage and elevation, the massage is most important to help heal.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Follow the RICE-E principle: Rest Ice Compression Elevation - Exercise.Ice will slow swelling & reduce pain. You can do an ice bath if you prefer - ice in a dishpan or bucket, then add some water and put your foot in for approx 15 minutes. It will hurt at first, but when you get to numb that's when it's helping!!  If you have any edema (swelling) compression is very important - keep the swelling to a minimum and you will heal faster. Use an ace type wrap from your toes (just below the injury) up past your ankle to help squeeze the edema back toward your lymphatic system, so that your body can reabsorb the fluid more readily. Getting the area moving thru a PAIN FREE range of motion will speed healing!!  One thing you can do is put a towel on the floor and "scrunch" it up with your toes... The faster you get it moving the faster you will get better!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2010