Do you believe that there's a reason for everything?

I may sound crazy, but I do believe that things happen for a reason. I believe that God brought the earthquake to Haiti so that people would reach out and give them the help they so desperately needed. I don't think I'm the only one, but I wasn't aware of how bad off they were until the earthquake hit. It just makes sense to me. I'm not super religious, but I do believe in God and I do believe that he works in mysterious ways. What are your thoughts on this? If you're going to bash me, don't bother posting. Obviously you can disagree and share your opinion, all I ask is that you do it in a tactful manner. Thank you.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 8:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe everything happens for a reason, whether we know or understand the reason.
    Anonymous

• No I don't. I think things just happen. Why kill millions of people just to get people's attention to help?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think that I partially agree with you. There's a fine line between what you're trying to say (that there's a reason for everything) and saying that everyone has a fate and that God has our whole lives planned for us. I believe that for the most part, God has given us a very powerful thing - human will. We make our own choices; the selfish and terrible choices of few have led to great suffering and sorrow for so many, including Haiti. The hurricanes, eartquakes, and now this most recent one, has brought many nations together to help the people there. It has brought out the good will in people. God does work in mysterious ways for sure though.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Not necessarily. Sometimes things just happen. One could argue that god sent a quake to Haiti to control human overpopulation. Opinions will vary and a huge can of worms is about to be open here. I've learned not to share my personal thoughts on this as all it leads to is bashing. Anyway my thoughts are I am really sick of hearing about this disaster. But maybe now it will die down some. I heard they called off the search for survivors and are moving on to cleaning things up.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• "I believe that God brought the earthquake to Haiti so that people would reach out and give them the help they so desperately needed."
    if you believe that's so, what are your feelings on the Holocaust? If there is one thing that happened in the world that no one will EV ER convince me that there was a good reason for, it's the Holocaust.
    And no, I don't think that the earthquake happened because any higher power thought it was a good idea- nor 9-11 for that matter.
    Sorry, but I find this question to be very upsetting.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I have always felt there is a reason for everything. I live by that belief. When something goes wrong I know it's because it just was not meant to be the way I thought it should be.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I do believe things happen for a reason. But I don't think I can say the tragedy in haiti happened for any reason I can ever understand. That is not for me to say....as I am not there experiencing it. Maybe the survivors could answer that for themselves, but certainly not me. That would be presumptious on my part.
    It's easy to stand from afar and say "oh yes, that happened b/c of this...." but I don't think we have right OR basis for that kind of thinking.
    Hope that made sense.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I believe there is a cause and effect for everything- all things are karmically intertwined where one cause produces an effect that is itself a cause of a different effect, and so on and so forth. As to whether there is a purpose to all this cause and effect, I really don't know. It would be reassuring if there were, but I tend to lean towards random cause and effect.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• 9-11 and the Holocaust weren't natural disasters like an earthquake anon. They were tragedies brought on by people. Good point though.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yes, I believe that everything happens for a reason. I also believe however that we are too small to understand those reasons in most cases. To think that we are the ones in this universe with any of the answers is just prideful and ignorant. The Gods have reasons for things that we could never understand!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:52 PM on Jan. 24, 2010