have you ever seen a breast feeding mom refuse to formula feed when her baby was not able to eat?

I have a friend who had just had a baby and the baby was not taking to her breast and we told her to maybe try giving the baby a bottle because he was crying (you could tell he was hungry) she said "if he is hungry he will eat" she refused to feed him a bottle! Are some bfing moms really that anti formula feeding that they will not give their baby a bottle even if he is starving!? opinions please

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• I gave birth on a Tuesday and I didn't get my milk until the next Monday. Sure we supplemented..................was I supposed to let my baby starve? We fed her with a syringe to avoid nipple confusion, but in the end it didn't matter anyway. She did well with both ( I pumped so that dh could feed her). I would never starve my baby rather than feed them formula..................you do realize that that is neglect and women have been jailed for it?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• social services needs to be called if that baby doesnt get fed
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Yes, they really are that nuts. I've seen a lot of posts on here like that and it's sick. Some nutso breastfeeders would rather a baby starve than be given formula.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• ohh are you going to be bashed.

i think that most mother's that are exclusively bf would first get help for the latching on problem. they would exaust all opitions before going to formula...but they would most likely succeed in bf before the formula was necessary.

your friend knows her baby and how much he has ate throughout the day, instead of saying to offer formula i would instead try and help her find a bf support group/agency.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I didn't feed my daughter formula. We breastfed. We had to work to get the latch on down pat, but once we did (it took a couple of days) we had no issues. It could be that she's just trying to get the baby to latch on and stay latched.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:38 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• "Taking to the breast" sometimes takes time... it is learned. mom and baby both need this transitional time. if you introduce an infant who just "isn't taking to the breast" to a bottle, you set yourself up for failure. it took my ds a couple of weeks before he could get a good latch. and you know what, he THRIVED.

unless you are there 24 hours a day to count diapers, you have absolutely no room to offer a BFing mom "advice" about feeding... baby may have been hungry, but she is doing the absolute best that ANYONE can do- something you chose not to. she is fighting for her child to get what it needs, and that is admirable. she isn;t simply being a quitter... if the baby truly WAS starving, I am certain that she would do something about it. OH, wait... she WAS... she was nursing!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Are you FUC*ING serious? call cps for a mom breastfeeding??? you are some sick twisted bunch... wow.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• he was screaming and crying for i don't know how long. he fell asleep crying because she stuck a passy in his mouth. she later was able to get some out from pumping but it wasnt much. It just really pissed me off bc she said "if he is hungry he will eat"
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on how many days old the baby is, because the first week is all about learning to BF, but some babies will not latch on no matter what and that is when you need to FF, and if you don't realize that then you are being selfish and putting yourself above you child.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• unless you are there 24 hours a day to count diapers, you have absolutely no room to offer a BFing mom "advice" about feeding... baby may have been hungry, but she is doing the absolute best that ANYONE can do- something you chose not to. she is fighting for her child to get what it needs, and that is admirable. she isn;t simply being a quitter... if the baby truly WAS starving, I am certain that she would do something about it. OH, wait... she WAS... she was nursing!!!

i agree with you!! I also want to add, that "just give the baby a bottle" comment from someone who did not breastfeed can be detrimental to sooo many moms. you r her friend and should be as supportive as possible.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010