If your child refuses to eat what you serve them then do you make them a special meal?

My 25 month old son is really picky and if he does not want to eat something he'll just ask to get down from his chair or throw it on the floor. Like an hour later he'll ask for food. The only meat he'll eat is chicken nuggets and fish sticks, anything else I serve him just ends up on the floor. How do you deal with a picky eater? Do you make them a special meal that you know they'll eat? Do you let them go hungry if they don't eat what you serve them?

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If my DD (20 mo) is hungry, she'll eat what I put in front of her. They have to learn that they don't call the shots. What you can do is, when your son asks for food an hour later, feed him what he refused earlier in the day. This way he knows he won't be able to manipulate you.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 8:41 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My son rarely eats meat. He will eat hamburger thats about it. I make vegetables and bread at dinner time. My kid eats those ,or I make him a peanut butter sandwich.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Is your child being punished for throwing food on the floor? That's not acceptable behavior. Keep serving different foods, just include at least one food that he likes. Children won't starve themselves. If he doesn't he, put it in the fridge and serve it for the next meal. I bet this isn't a case of being a picky eater, it's just a control battle.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• nope. they eat what they are fed. they have never been catered too, I am not a short order cook. I prepare their meals with love, and if they choose not to eat, they were not hungry.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Nope she eats what we give her or she goes hungry for the time, and if she throws her food she is punished. If she asks for food later we warm up what she wouldn't eat and giver her that, if she really doesn't like something that is different. She has never been able to eat green beans so we don't make her, but other than that she gets what she is given. Picky eaters are made by parents who give in.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Depends on what it is. If it's something I know my kids won't like (for example anything spicy) then I will make something different for them. If it's something they have eaten just fine before, I make them eat at least a few bites before they can leave the table and I don't make them something else.
    Anonymous

• I have always insisted on my child trying something before saying he doesn't like it. If he refuses to try it then I've refused to let him down from the table. I will not go out of my way to make him special meals. However I won't make something I know he hates to eat (so long as I know he has tried it at least once or twice). By making a special meal or letting them have a snack later it only lets the child know he or she can get away with it. Some might not agree but I've saved a meal my son wouldn't try and put it in front of him for breakfast he was hungry enough he ate it and guess what he liked it... Good luck it's not easy ... remember these ages are the ages where you insert your control and place of dominance over your child you have to be firm without being cruel to let them know it's your way and not their's... good luck
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 8:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My son does the same thing as yours if he doesn't like what I give him or isn't hungry. Sometimes he'll come back and eat it later, sometimes he won't, but the same thing is always offered (i.e., if we have meat loaf and he doesn't want any at dinner and gets down and comes back hungry an hour later, he gets meat loaf again, and he can take it or leave it again). I've never offered him other choices, so he's never whined about it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No and I ask my kids if I look like a restraunt??
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 8:49 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My daughter (19 months) never goes hungry. I feed her whenever she's hungry. If she doesn't like something I serve to her, I try to get her to eat at least a couple of bites. Then, she can have some bread or crackers or something. I don't cook another meal, but I give her extra sides. For example, if we're having chicken, whole wheat bread and peas, and she doesn't particularly care for the chicken, she can have extra bread and peas.

My daughter went through a picky phase that lasted for a couple of months, but I didn't make a big deal about it. Nowadays, she'll eat most anything.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010