Can you tell a difference in children?

While you are out in public, can you tell which children have been breastfed and which were given formula?

If you have some children that were bf and some that were ff, do you notice any differences in their IQ and overall health?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in General Parenting

• nope
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:58 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Mostly I can tell the difference in their cheeks when they're babies and early toddlers. Babies who are breastfed use different muscles and have slightly different looking cheeks.
    Anonymous

• I was FF. My husband was BF. He gets sick more than me. He is better at math than me though! Anyways, no I cant tell the difference.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Nope not a thing appears different to me
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 9:00 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Only if they poop. Bf'd babies have a different smell to their poop. Ff'd babies poop smells like.... well, poop! LOL!
    All three of my kids were bf'd so I have nothing to compare to. I was bf'd until three months and then ff'd.... dh was ff'd and has a lot of allergies. That may not be in any way related to ff'ing though- who knows?
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Only if the kid runs up to his mother and tries to pull her shirt up! Haha! Honestly I never even think about it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree with anon. I can tell the difference by looking at a ff vs. a bf baby by the structure of their head. It's not a bad thing, but like she said, the muscles develop differently giving a different shape to the head. By the time they are around 2, I can't tell anymore, though.

My dh was bf and he is healthy as all get out. He never gets sick. Me...I catch everything from everyone. That's all anecdotal evidence, though. We are just two people.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 9:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• uhhh NO.

wow....there's a physical difference in breast or formula babies?

if there is then why do all three of mine look completely normal? strange.

but the poop factor....oh yeah formula is WAY more 'odiferous'
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Breastfed babies have rounder cheeks than formula fed babies even when they are done breastfeeding.
    I don't think it helps much with getting sick or not based on personal experiences... I'm a Ped's nurse and I would say just as many breastfed babies are admitted to the hospital as formula fed.... I haven't noticed a significant difference.
    More formula fed babies have troubles with reflux and gas though I have found and their poop smells way worse.
    And I would say breastfed babies tend to snuggle more and have a bit more stranger anxiety on average. Although my son has never been afraid of anyone... so it also depends on personality.... but he does like to snuggle still.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• NO! You can NOT tell the difference! If a baby is fed - he/she will have 'round cheeks' as some of you say.

I'll have you know AmiJanell - My son WAS breast fed and had GERD, (reflux) - and had the WORST smelling poop EVER. He has never been a 'snuggler'
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2010