Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can he file without me and take all the money?

My and my husband are separated but still married. I didn't work last year except for cash. So he says he is going to file and claim our son and give my nothing.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • Well it looks like he has a W-2 and your out of luck because you didn't pay any taxes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • I'd see if you can meet with an attorney for a free session see what they advise you ... Technically if you're still married the money belongs to both of you ... however it's one of those things of who is going to force him to give it to you... Good luck I hope things work out

    Answer by bubblycute at 9:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • Since he earned all money shouldn't he keep it? I'd be damned if my ex thought he could collect on my return on my income.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • you cant file if you have no w-2 , so yeah

    Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • Plus, you got paid cash so you didn't even pay taxes, much less overpay to get a return.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • Ihate to say this cuz I want to be on your side but with him being head of household meaning he made more money than you did then the irs will say that he has right over you to claim your son. IF you guys lived together all last year. The rule states that the person that th child has lived with over half the year has the right to claim them. So like if you guys seperated in april and he lived with you the whole time then your husband cannot legally claim him. If you just moved out in december or this month then he provided over hlf of the childs support financially giving him the right over you to claim him.

    Answer by SaturnsMom at 9:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • yep that's totally legal. Although you can try and get some in the divorce. It's really unlikely though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • Why should you get a tax refund on his income??? You chose to work illegally now you pay for it. You should have thought ahead sorrry.

    Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • It's not illegal to get paid cash it's only illegal if you don't pay taxes on it. You can still file taxes (legally you're supposed to) it's just harder, I'm assuming cuz you probably don't have any pay stubs or any receipts that show how much you got paid.

    Answer by ludviksmith at 9:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • He worked HE has a W2 YOU DO NOT so ya he can file HIS taxes and claim HIS son and keep it all

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.