Is there a difference in price between cloth diapers and disposable diapers?

I know cloth diapers are eco-friendly but they have disposable diapers that are just as great. So my question is cloth diapers cheaper or just about the same price as disposable?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not a big one but there is a big difference in the yuck factor.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 9:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Depends. Are you factoring in the cost of water and electricity to wash cloth diapers?? Just the diapers or are you also buying the plastic covers to prevent cloth from leaking?? Are you using a diaper service that delievrs the cloth and takes the dirty ones to wash for you?? OK OK I think they are about the same cost wise. I find disposable more convenient, but not so eco friendly.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• There is a bigger initial investment to start up cloth, however, the overall savings is HUGE!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 9:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Oh, and that's coming from a Mom who will soon have three in diapers, lol, I'm saving a lot of money using cloth!
    dedicatedrider

• if you wash them at home and take care of them yourself then you can save up to thousands a year depending on what brand you buy and how much. the first year you go through a lot of diapers bc newborns have an instant bm/urinating factor to them.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• definitely.

the upfront cost for cloth is quite steep depending on how many and what kind you get.

then there's just the cost of washing and drying - which is quite minimal.

I cloth diapered all three of my girls from birth (even in hospital) to potty training.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Depends on what kind of cloth diapers you buy (for the initial cost investment) or if you make them yourself; the efficiency of your washer, and if you dry them or hang them out to dry (as far as electricity goes). You can reuse diapers for subsequent children so there is only one initial investment, and cloth diapered chidren tend to potty train earlier. Don't forget that the cloth diapers are never in a landfill.

There really is no "yuck" factor that is any worse than disposables. In fact, there are some advantages. 1. some people throw poop diapers in the trash and you are supposed to put solid poops from disposables into the toilet NOT the trash. 2. There is no chemical smell that lingers in the house like many disposable brands 3. Blowouts are far less common since in cloth poop has somewhere to go in a pocket while disposables are so trim that the poop in a blow out tends to crawl UP
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think I spent $400 on my diapers through 8 years - thats 3 kids from birth to potty.

one load of laundry every other day - quite minimal.

pail of oxy clean every other month - $10

jug of vinegar $3

AND...THEY'RE JUST SO DARNED CUTE! prints and patterns and designs galore - or white with pooh (or whatever the characters are these days). FRESH LAUNDRY SMELL or fake baby powder?

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:37 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Thanks ladies. THis really helped. I used disposable diapers with my son and man was that expensive so I wanted to look into cloth diapers. How do you clean them with the poop? I am sure the pee is just a normal wash like if their clothes got peed on but poop thats different.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• http://clothdiapers.thefunnyemu.com/suggestions.html
    This website might be helpful for you :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010