Starting a garden!

Hi ladies, I am interested in starting our own vegetable/ small fruit garden. We are going(or wanting to) to plant tomatos (sp?always mess that one up!), peppers, squash and strawberries. We are also going to plant satsuma trees (2) and maybe some other sort of citrus tree. Any easy veggies/fruits we could also plant? Are there any tips or pointers you'd like to kindly give? We're right outside of Houston, we're starting with a small rectangle of garden space and if that goes well we'll increase the size next year. We are going to use some topsyturvy type thing my husbands grandfather made for the tomatos(sp!)

Also, I have googled on planting strawberries, and it says from the seed they wont harvest until the 2nd year, but from the plant it will harvest in June-ish. Where do I buy the already started plant? I am going to start from seeds either way but I'd like to plant the started plant to show my kids.

Bran6903

Asked by Bran6903 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If I do seeds, I start all my seeds indoors under a 72 hour light. They usually sprout it that time. Then I do 14 hrs light and 10 hours dark. I put them in the ground after about 3 weeks, depending on the weather.

You can buy started plants from the farmer's market. Sometimes Lowes hardware store has decent starts. Check for mold before you buy plant starts.

Tomatoes. Dan Quail had that issue. ;)
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 8:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2010