I Think My Little Girl May Have A Yeast Infection

My Little Girl Is 21 months old and the other day my husband was giving her a bath and put bubbles in with her and I told him that that can cause a UTI so I have heard or a yeast infection but was not sure. She also has Dermatitis right now and the doctor said it could cause a yeast infection or may be cause of a yeast infection but she has not acted like it until last night she was grabbing herself saying ouch and then when I was bathing her just then she grabbed herself and I looked and she is very red down there. I dont know what to do if it is a yeast infection what medicines do you use or what can you get to help it?If you have any info it would be great thanks(:

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can use the same creams that you would buy for yourself at the store, just the kind that you put on the outside skin like Vagisil. You usually don't need a prescription for it to clear up with those.
    Anonymous

• I'd take her to the doc. It could be a bacterial infection, too. You can try putting aquafor or Vaseline on it until you can get her to the doc. I don't know if the OTC yeast infxn stuff is too strong for her. You could probably try just a tiny bit. But if it makes it worse, wash it off.
    My daughter went through a time where she'd get infxn's. She washes down there with dove sensitive skin bar soap, and rinses very well. I hope your daughter feels better soon, we all know how bad those things are!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• protrolum jelly
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My 1 year old had a yeast infection and they gave us athletes foot medicine to put on her after a diaper change and after bath ... its clearing up pretty nicely.. but i would still take your daughter in..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 9:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You can use vagisil (for itchiness, irritation) but not a anti-fungal (monistat) -- per our pediatrician. The doctor needs to see and confirm it's yeast before she goes on a prescription anti-fungal. Until then it is a good idea to have her eat as much probiotic yogurt as you can and drink cranberry juice (buy the pure kind, not the cocktail). My daughter had something like this recently and 2 days of this regime cleared it up -- no need for the doctor's visit.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:07 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• When my daughter was younger she was like that. I finally figured out that she was allergic to soap, could also be your detergent.. Call your ped. and see what he advises to do.
    Anonymous

• Definitely talk to her doc. Bubble bath can lead to urinary tract infections... don't know about yeast infections... Either way, you cant treat it until you know what it is. It's possible that she has a UTI and is red because she's been grabbing/touching herself because of it. Take her in and get a diagnosis so you will know what to do next. Hope she feels better soon.
    Krys.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 7:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2010