Formula Supplementing Question?

What brand/kind of formula do you suggest I give my 5 week old daughter on occasion? I breastfeed her exclusively, and pump as well when I can for my husband to feed her. But there have been 2 times now I had to leave for a few hours, and my husband gave her a couple of ounces of formula. It made her poor tummy so upset, I felt terrible because I just can't pump enough, I have always had a hard time pumping milk.

I've seen the gentle formulas, soy, etc. What would you recommend from your experience that would be easiest on her tummy? It would only be the occasional bottle once every month or so, when I have to leave and she can't come with me.

MamaChanny

Asked by MamaChanny at 9:30 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmm...I wouldn't go with soy if you are still breastfeeding. Maybe gentle ease lipil?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• if you are able to pump just 1 to 1 1/2 ounces per hour you are away from your baby that is all they technically need....so if you are only going to be away for an hour or 2 all you really need is about 2 to 2 1/2 ounces....just because a baby will eat a larger bottle if offered doesnt mean they necessarily need that much, they eat it because its there, a babys tummy is super small.

Dont be discouraged if you dont pump a huge amount of milk, that is actually a common problem for a lot of nursing moms, a pump is never as good as your baby at draining the breast, your baby is most definately getting more out when you put her at the breast and when you need to give bottles, you only need a couple of ounces.
    Check out www.kellymom.com for help with all your nursing questions, its an amazing resource, please take advantage of it!
    Also join the breastfeeding group here at cafemom, lots of ladies with great info and experience.
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I would try Gentlease or GoodStart... both are more broken down and easier to digest... however if you are using it so rarely I would just start pumping more often and storing some up. (because after you open formula it expires in a few weeks).
    Try adding a pumping session before you go to bed every night... if you do it the same time each night you body will start to make more milk at that time. If you do this every night you will have a large supply of frozen breastmilk before you know it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You are unlikely to find a formula that won't cause some sort of problem. It's just the nature of the beast. You could try goat based as that is a bit more gentle than cow based. That said. There are many ways to increase your output. Go here for a video demonstration of using massage to double output: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html     

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Some tips: pump in the am between four and eight as that is when your production peaks; pump on one side while baby nurses on the other to take advantage of let down; Don't get discouraged, it is normal to get an ounce. Two is above expectation. So just pump more often so you can build a stash to work with and stay ahead. Since you aren't pumping because you work every day, you have PLENTY of time to build a stash.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2010