How do you clean your dogs ears>? Or know when their is an infection?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pets

• if you dog is shaking his head and itching at his ear alot then most likely he has an ear infection. The vet will look at it and tell you for sure then give you drops to put in his ears.

my brothers dog used to get them all the time.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• you need to get the drops and use a cotton ball.
    marykay22

Answer by marykay22 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I AGREE WITH THE FIRST ONE AND I CLEAN MY DOGS EARS OUT WITH BABBY WIPS ! !
    Anonymous

• I use the ear wash from the vet. Also if he has an ear infection they will have that ear cocked downward.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I use q-tips, but I don't go way down deep. One of my dogs, I had to clean one of her ears almost every day. I took her to the vet and she had a yeast infection in the ear most likely caused by the pond at the dog park. She didn't seem to be bothered by it at all though.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• If the dog has an ear infection there is usually an oder, they scratch at the ear or shake their head. The ear flap could be red and inflamed, The could just be a lot of wx or it could be pretty goopy. There are differant degrees of ear infections and a vet can take a sample and tell you wht kind of infection it is a prescribe the right oitment or antibiotic. For cleaning i get my cleaner from the vet because so many of them can irratate the ear. I use q-tips, cotton balls or some sort of clothe to wipe it out.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Smell your dog's ears. If they have a cheesy smell, they are infected. If you can't get to a vet, there are a lot of home-made ear wash recipes on the internet you can find.

I use ear wash from my vet on both my dogs. It smells like green apples too, so its kinda neat. I don't remember offhand what its called, but you might be able to get some from your vet as well. Its pretty expensive however.

Don't stick anything in your dog's ears (like q tips, baby wipes and so on) you may accidentally slip and damage the eardrum. Baby wipes are okay for baby's butts, but there are things in them that can dry out the sensitive skin of a dog's ear.

If you keep on top of cleaning your dog's ears (once or twice a week) you should end up with healthy ears.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:25 AM on Jan. 25, 2010