Grandparents, how do I take this?

My mother in law lives about 5 miles from us. I have never asked her to babysit (too nervous) but every now and then, my husband will. Usually this is over the phone and I am not "there" listening to her response,

but the other day I asked him if he would see if she could babysit (while he'll be out of town) so I can go to a meeting for homeschool moms around here (kids not welcome). We were at her house, and when he said "can you babysit on this date?" she said, "probably".

1. is this a yes?

Also, she watches her other grandkids weekly because both parents work, and sometimes does complain about not having her own time. This causes me to worry that she may not want to watch my kids and may resent us.

2. Is there any validity to these feelings?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 10:02 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• she might just be frustrated with watching the OTHER kids. are you close with your MIL? maybe you guys can have a girls day out; window shop, grab some lunch, etc. so you guys can get to know each other better... and then if this happens in the future- if you ever need a babysitter, you can just ask and see if she'll mind. if she doesnt watch your kids for you that often, i dont think she'd really care.. especially if she's so generous with the other family members.
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 3:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't see what you seem to see. I'm a grandmother and when I say probably, it means probably and nothing more. I check my calendar and confirm when I know. If I don't want to babysit I just say so. I'm sure she would as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• thank you. that's pretty much what my husband has said. I can't explain it but I am very sensitive with my mother in law. he said all grandparents probably complain from time to time about babysitting that often. my mom died before we were married and I often wonder if she would be a bit different and consider it a blessing.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Thanks. I think for the most part she loves spending time with her grandkids but does like to quilt and so she needs says of rest, and I don't want to take advantage of her. We're not close...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2010