Do you seek feeding info from your pediatritian?

I get very frustrated when I see so many mothers taking the word of their ped. as gold on the topic of infant feeding. Doctors get VERY little instruction in medical school on the topic of nutrition and infant feeding and human lactation but yet they are the 1st person many run too when they have trouble with nursing or when they need advice on feeding their baby. I dont get it! It would be much better to consult an IBCLC (international board certified lactation consultant) or a certified nutritionist for help with such matters, they are specifically trained in the area as opposed to the doctor who had a few meager hours of nutrition class in medical school. Do they just not realize how very uneducated on the matter some doctors are? Some doctors are old school and despite new research and findings will still continue to be stuck in old ways and give out bad advice, I wish more parents realized this :(

jlizgar

Asked by jlizgar at 10:39 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's like going to a surgeon and asking for advice on nutrition. They have no more advanced knowledge than any schmuck on the street because their specialty is surgery. Pediatricians specialize in illness and disease of children, they are not nutritionists, lactation specialists, or pharmacists. They have only rudimentary knoweldge in these areas unless they have taken it upon themselves to get certified separately in those areas, or have independantly studied those subjects. Doctors even know very little about the drugs they prescribe because they did not go to pharmacy school.

If you want nutrition information you go to a nutritionist. If you want breastfeeding information you go to a certified lactation specialist. If you want correct information on medication you seek out a lead pharmacist.

To be honest, most pediatricians make lousy wellness care practitioners because their specialty is ...
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• No. I didn't even ask and any advice I was given I just smiled and nodded.
    Anonymous

• How would you know that doctors get very little education on infant feeding? Are you a doctor or ever been to medical school? Just curious.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• what is the point in even having a pediatrician if you don't take their advice?
    Anonymous

• Ugh with my DD I had this exact problem..she was only BF 18 weeks before I gave up-- when I got prego with #2 I did my homework and we EBF for 14 months!!
    I have to say thu it was a neo natologist I worked with-- new to the US and from Argentina who told me "dont listen to your pediatrician about best feeding regimes learn better what your body is supposed to do and do it" I have since become Ibclc and my biggest issue is fighting wrong Doctor advice to my clients LOL
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I received great advice from my daughters NICU medical staff. I could call them at any time of the day or night. It worked for me.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I am not a doctor but it is not hard to take a look at the curriculum and coarse study that doctors use in medical school, its not a huge secret, its not hidden from the public, anyone can find this sort of information out! I have a good friend who is currently in medical school and has confirmed this for me as well, that doctors do not get very much education in nutrition, they get some yes, but not enough to make your pediatrician an expert on infant feeding and breastfeeding, there are others who know WAY more about those topics like an IBCLC or a certified nutritionist.

jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Im not saying dont seek advice from your ped. just dont seek advice on feeding from them! They are great if your child gets an illness or has an injury of if you do well baby appointments and want them to monitor your babys growth and development in comparison to other babys, but if your looking for specific information on breastfeeding or on infant feeding and nutrition, seek the advice of someone more knowledgable on those subjects, thats all im saying!

jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 10:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Kudos.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 10:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Uhm- I'm only a nurse but I work at the hospital where NYU students do their residencies and fellowships--side by side with them and I can tell you they know very little about lactation/breastfeeding and "well' pregnancies or well anything for that matter that is not how they are trained -- they are taught how to treat illnesses and make money- big difference from learning wellness and treating humans
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2010