Car insurance(Parking Lot Accident)

My Mother is on my grandmothers insurance and recently back out and hit a man behind her on his back bumper ,she said he had a big industrial truck and the bumper was medal and left a little scratch on his vehicle,but as for my grandmothers town and country van it has a huge dent in the back bumper.My mother said the guy told her it was no big deal and not to worry,and no police or insurance were called.Now the guy is calling my grandmother asking her how she is going to pay for his bumper and said my mother lied (wich could be true) and that he has a huge dent on his bumper blah blah blah Now my mammaw thinks her insurance will cover her vehicle and his but I think even if it was in a parking lot that you have to report the accident to the police and insurance right away so they can investigate and it is not a big mess like it is now.She has Gieco and I dont know about it if any one can help thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Money & Work

• As far as I know the police don't have to be called. Not to mention the cops would just laugh their asses off if you called and asked them to file a report on a small parking lot fender bender. They would tell you to sit tight and then take 5 hours to show up.
    Anyways, she is definitely at fault since she was backing up. Insurance should pay (depending on the coverage she has), but she will have to pay the deductible first. The only real answer is to call Geico and report it and see what they say.
    Anonymous

• My daughter backed out of a parking space and hit someone who was illegally cutting through the parking lot. My dd still had to pay or really my insurance co had to pay. I was not happy. The girl was in the wrong but we had to pay to fix the girl's car.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I hit some a friend's car when I was backing out of our driveway. We decided that I was just going to pay for the damage out of pocket. But we did call the insurance for just to ask what it would do to our policy if we filed a claim. They said we had six months from the time of the accident to actually file a claim if we decided to. So call geico and see what their policy is. It may not be a big deal at all. Also, tell your mom if she has a camera phone and this happens again to take a picture of both cars.
    Anonymous

• call the guy back & ask to go look @ the damage, if she did mess up his vehicle she needs to pay to get it fixed, if he sees a little old lady he can intimidate he may be trying to take advantage of her. Take a big mean looking guy w/ you to check out the damage & watch how the other guy acts, his behavior should show you who's lying.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 25, 2010