What are your thoughts on all the teen pregnancy shows lately?

Secret Life of the American Teenager, Teen Mom, Pregnancy Pact, Baby Borrowers, Juno, etc.
Do you think it is socially irresponsible for networks to show teen pregnancy in a "light" way. I don't think any of these shows really provide an accurate display of the reality of teen pregnancy. I had my first at 18, I would know. Most of the real problems faced are either glazed over or not even shown at all. Although they try to show some of the drama, it really just glamorizes teen pregnancy and makes light of the situation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I love the shows and love watching them but I see what you are saying. Even at 22 having a baby is hard work. Its not all fun and games. I think they need to show more of the reality of it then just making it seem like everything is all great.
    Anonymous

• i dont think that teen mom glams it up.. It shows how hard it is. But then I set her with a 17 year old step daughet that is pregnant. She thinks that show is stupid.
    Anonymous

• I hate them. There will be some huge life altering problem and then a half an hour later it is all fixed and wonderful...... yea that is reality.
    I personally think they are very irresponsible. But then again, what does the media care about being socially responsible?? Look at what they have done to sex, and violence, and the self-esteem to millions of girls and women.
    Anonymous

• being a teen mom myself i definalty think they are not showing everything..but teen mom (mtv) does the best job in showing how hard it is..by far.
    i will admite i watch these shows..but i think its just b/c one im preggo, and two i wanna see how these shows interpret teen pregnancy...BTW pregnancy pact was just kinda lame...
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• n I don't think any of them glorify teen pregnancy... I think they are good shows for teens to watch. They aren't full of horrible language++-and they are filled with issues that teens are actually facing... I had my first at 18, I was more then ready... but i know a lot of people that don't deserve their kids, that aren't good parents.. maybe if the shows were around when i was younger... maybe more people would have been more educated about their decisions
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I think the movie Juno sucked. I was really shocked at the end of that movie. That movie made it seem like she made the best decision and life goes on and you forget all about your pregnancy and the baby you gave away which is not true. It was just another movie to glamorize adoption.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I find it a little scary, like, what are they trying to tell my 17 yo dd? I started to watch Secret Life, when it first came out. It was not what I thought it would be, and I didn't like what it turned out to be. I kind of wish we could get some standards back on TV. It is pretty bad when you still have to censor what your 17 yo watches....Thank goodness she likes to watch the country music station (I do not like country music in general, but I try not to complain about it...lol) !
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• The labor scenes in Teen Mom were SOOOOO lame. It didn't show the reality and pain of labor. When Farrah went into labor it was extremely set up. The cameraman just happened to be outside of her bedroom at 2am?? And then she said "oh no my water broke" in a horribly acted dialogue. Then they went to the hospital and next thing you knew there was a baby! Not at all real. I am guessing she was scheduled to be induced and that is the way the producers decided to play it off. You could tell she was in no pain when she claimed her water broke. It was all a show for the TV.
    Anonymous

• "The labor scenes in Teen Mom were SOOOOO lame. It didn't show the reality and pain of labor. When Farrah went into labor it was extremely set up. The cameraman just happened to be outside of her bedroom at 2am?? And then she said "oh no my water broke" in a horribly acted dialogue. Then they went to the hospital and next thing you knew there was a baby! Not at all real. I am guessing she was scheduled to be induced and that is the way the producers decided to play it off. You could tell she was in no pain when she claimed her water broke. It was all a show for the TV."

i love the show teen mom, but i'm gonna have to agree with that ^^
    wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• UGH!! Don't get me started on teen mom. It is a "reality" show, so of course it is set up. I don't think people realize how much of these stupid "reality" shows are scripted. Everything is set up, every thing is scripted. Sure it maybe the real problems they are facing, but they have to put on a show when the camera is there.
    There is not a single person out there who would act exactly the same with a camera around. EVERYONE would try to look better.
    Anonymous