My 11 month old no longer wants to sleep through the night, any suggestions

sarajohn26

Asked by sarajohn26 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Quite possilbly is teething. My son just turned a year not to long ago, and at 11 months wasn't sleeping the best through the night. Woke up 2 times ususally. Could also be a growth spurt too.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Teething, growth spurts, and reaching a new milestone will affect sleep patterns. Separation anxiety (part of development) can also affect sleep patterns as comfort is NEED for babies, not a want. If she's hungry, feed her. The other reasons you will have to wait out. Children wake in the night just like adults do (even though a lot of adults don't recall waking up)
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My Baby is only 4 months but if she isn't sleeping through the night I try 2 keep her busy through the day & have less naps or none @ all!
    KileighsMom

Answer by KileighsMom at 11:53 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Kleighs.. you DO realize that over-tired babies actually on average sleep LESS (like babies that's moms don't let them nap).. if your 4 month old doesn't take her naps she's also probably not getting enough sleep.. I would encourage atleast one nap at 4 months.. that just sounds wrong.. no naps.. my 10 month old still naps TWICE and sleeps ALL NIGHT most nights.. you're doin something wrong =\

An 11 month old may start waking up cause of new milestones, separation anxiety, teething, maybe coming down with something... just treat baby like normal and don't freak.. it should pass and baby should start sleeping through the night again.. maybe in a few days.. maybe in a couple weeks.. but be patient it'll happen again and it'll be much more pleasant if it's their bodies idea and you don't make them cry for the few days / week that they would've went back to sleeping through anyway at.. patience ! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Co-sleep

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Anonymous is right... DO NOT withhold sleep! They won't be getting enough that way and an overtired baby is NO fun! It is most likely a milestone... try letting them cry for a min or so and see if they start to settle... if not you may be able to find the root of the prob!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 25, 2010