Runny nose constantly!

My son is a year and 3 weeks old now and has a horrible runny nose! I know when they are younger you can't give anything medicine wise to help except benydryl if dr says its okay. Well my son has been taking 1/2 tsp of benydryl since he was about 10 months old for a runny nose but it doesnt seem to be helping at all. I used the bulb, baby vicks, humidifier (cool mist), and steam from shower to help and its not really helping much. Any other advice?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my doctor prescribed singulair for my sons runny nose. it comes in a powder package and can be added to his food.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• correction. my sons pediatrician prescribed
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• how old was your son when dr prescribed that?
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It sounds like it may be a food allergy...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:30 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You might ask if there is another allergy med you can try. I was told I could give my little one Children's Claritin for a runny nose but was also told that if the claritin didn't seem to be doing the trick that I could use childrens zyrtec. You would have to ask your doc about it and about a proper dosage though. Apparently they can build up a resistance to the medication you are giving them sometimes, making it less effective.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 6:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• before allergy meds, i would look into allergy triggers. dairy, gluten, dust, mold, cat...
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2010