animal shelter- it is an awful place to visit?

my family and i want to adopt a dog. i have never been to a shelter because ive always been a bit scared really, of seeing a horrific sight.

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 11:15 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• best dog we ever had was from a shelter. its like they know you have saved their lives lol. there is nothing hard about going to a shelter, you will know when its the dog for you. the people that work there are really good and once you tell them what your looking for they will steer you in that direction. good luck, your doing a great thing, your saving a life, once you get the dog please have it fixed.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• not shelters are not scary places...you might end up wanting like 2 or 3 dogs after going tho. lol. i always want to adopt everyone i see!! they do smell tho..keep that in mind..but go and see its a great place to find a new pet for your family...maybe one that needs a family badly or about to be mput to sleep if its that kinda shelter...gl!
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Its not horrific, but I do have a hard time going. I want to take them all home and feel guilty about leaving any of them behind. I wouldn't take the kids though- it made me cry when I was little.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 11:17 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It's not horrific, it's just very sad. However, you'll be adopting a dog and saving it's life, so that will be such a positive thing! All of those dogs need homes so badly, and it's so sad how excited they all get when they see humans! I will from now on always get my animals from shelters...they need rescued the most! Definitely get your dog from a shelter, because you'll not only be getting a family pet but you'll be saving a dog from being put to sleep because no one else wants it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Its just sad. Im a sucker for pitbulls, and many people dont adopt that breed because of pre-conceived notions they are all aggressive. There were so many, and they all looked at me like "Dont you want me? I know you wont want me." When I left, I cried. I wished I could save them all.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• So yeah it does sound difficult to visit a shelter and only take home 1 dog. I don't know if I'm up for that. I may look into adopting from a foster home/ through a shelter or something...I couldn't choose!!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:08 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• hopefully you are not like my grandma lol...she has a farm ( right down the road fromt he shelter) ...and she goes and gets all the dogs that are scheduled to be put down ( except the really mean ones) and she takes them home to find them homes... I have to admit sometimes me and my husband go and do the same thing lol
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2010