My baby refuses to take a bottle!

My daugter is 15 weeks. She has taken a bottle(Dr. Browns) many times when I am at work. My mother watches her and so does my sister. She has always taken a bottle. Otherwise when she is with me she is breatfed. This weekend she stopped taking a bottle. She turns her head and cries. Both days this weekend she went without eating while I was at work because she would not take a bottle from my mother. How can I get her to take a bottle again?

krystalnm

Asked by krystalnm at 11:18 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe she is teething, or maybe the flow is not strong enough. maybe she no longer wants that type of bottle. try changing the nipple shape and flows
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Some babies will just refuse all bottles and wait for mother to come back and they then cluster feed or feed all night instead. it's called reverse cycling.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:28 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• none of my 3 kids would ever take a bottle no matter what I did or what type of bottle I tried, my 1st started taking a sippy cup at around 8 months but I was also still nursing her so she only had water or a tiny bit of diluted juice in the cup for a long time.
    Maybe www.kellymom.com has some info on the topic that could help you, im not sure, I dont really know anything about getting a baby to take a bottle as all my attempts failed LOL
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 11:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Sometimes they just won't take them. Both of my boys started refusing around this age. She'll make up for it when you're together.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Try a sippy cup that is similar to a bottle. She may not want the bottle anymore. Trying a sippy may help. If that doesnt work the lady that said try a different nipple and size has a good idea. I would try a sippy first that has a soft spout.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• LeanneC- what did you do then?
    krystalnm

Answer by krystalnm at 6:23 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Can I do a sippy when she's 3 1/2 months old?
    krystalnm

Answer by krystalnm at 6:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You can do a sippy. Though, she might decide not to take that either and wait for you instead.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:33 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• my daughter did the same thing when I worked. (but she was 7 months old so I wasnt as worried) But she would sometimes not drink any milk while with my mother or husband, and then eat all night with me, and it's perfectly alright and normal.

She is just realizing that it's better straight from the tap!! :D Don't be surprised if you notice an increase of nursing when you are around, she is doing that to get the calories she misses when you're not around!

I like the ideas of trying sippy cups and different types of nipples! Obviously if you guys CAN get her to eat while youre at work, then good (it makes for a happier, more peaceful baby!) But if not, be confident she will make up for it later :)
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 9:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2010