Is it normal for a 4 week old baby not to poop for a whole day? Please Help!

My baby went poopy ONCE yesterday and not at all today... Is this normal? If Not what do I do?

Thank you for the replies and the help!

Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How are you feeding him?

Answer by Jessycwr at 11:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• If the baby is breastfed it is totally normal.

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• yes its normal. Your baby can go up to 3 days before you should worry. if that happens you can try watered down apple juice to help with a bowel movement

Answer by leann74016 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• yes, it can be daughters Neonatologist use to say that a baby can go up to ten days without pooping. more than that is not normal and should be examined by his pediatrician. sometimes, its the formula or breast milk that caused them to become constipated. if you are breastfeeding, watch what you eat. if you become constipated or gassy, your baby will too.

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Both of my children did this and I was told that it's because they are breastfed. There is very little waste with breast milk.

• OP here!

He isnt breastfed... He is Formula fed... is this still normal?

• yes both my boys were fromula fed and if they didnt go poo for 3 days i would give them a lil apple juice 1oz water 1oz apple juice it also helps if you move there feet like a bike somehow it helps the tummy

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:09 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter was formula fed and would sometimes go two days between bowel movements. I didn't give her juice until she was much older, but I would give her warm baths, rub her tummy, and bicycle her legs. All of that is supposed to stimulate the stomach and bowels according to my doctor.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• A four week old should NOT get juice!!!! It's normal to go longer than a day. It's only constipation if when they poop it's painful and it's small hard pellets. The last poster had some good ideas for getting the bowels going that don't require juice.

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• A breastfed baby can go more than a week without a bowel movement

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2010