teething

My SO and his mother strongly believe in using alcohol on babies gums for teething. They think the products meant for this a a waste of money and don't work. I really don't like this and today when I went to the bathroom I came back to find her doing it. I dont even think my dd is teething she just drools a lot. she is only 9 weeks. has anyone done this? how do you feel about it.

xredstarsx

Asked by xredstarsx at 11:22 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oragel works for me, my grandma used alcohol on my dad, but i'm with you i don't agree with it. i'd be pretty ticked if i found her doing it anyway.

wahm_abbeyrose

Answer by wahm_abbeyrose at 11:24 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• oral gel, teething tablets and motrin worked great for my son! I don't agree with the alcohol use for the gums. I don't care what ppl say...thats not what alcohol is meant for.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OMG...get the hylands teething tablets...they work great for pain...if your daughter doesn't seem like she's in pain then you don't need anything except maybe a binky or toy for her to chew on...my son has been drooling hardcore since he was born and he barely started getting teeth a month ago...he's 7 months old now...the hyland's teething tablets work...they are all natural and have no side effects and work WAY better than oral gel...my son would continue crying when i used oral gel...so then i got the teething tablets and now he loves them
    Anonymous

• I don't think that alcohol is meant for that. I would never put any amount of alcohol in my child's mouth,especially that young.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OMG I would have gone off on my MIL if she did that too my daughter, that is old school wives tale CRAP. Alcohol should not be given to a baby, even in the tinest amounts....put your foot down, you are the mother, not her.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2010