Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom wants to give custody of my 15 year old sister to her boyfriends family. How exactly does she go about that?

Lots of drama that I don't feel like getting into, but long story short, my mom is fed up with my 15 year old sister. She's had the cops called numerous times and they say they can't do anything. She's had a stint in a ward and they said they can't hold her. She's not breaking the law so no reason for juvie. So, my mom packed her stuff and she is now staying at her 18 year old boyfriends family's house. My mom wants to sign her rights to them but isn't sure how to even go about it. And they also get SSI from when our father died. Everyone wants to know if that ill be stopped when she grants them custody. And if no one here knows anything about this, can someone please give me any websites with this info? I have tried google and but not too much came up regarding mothers signing off to non-related people. Thank you. And before anyone asks, no this isn't fake. It's pathetic and real.

Answer Question

Asked by GothicMommy3 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Level 10 (394 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Call a family law attorney in your state. I'm pretty sure that your sister can become emancipated. The SSI check will either go to your sister's care taker or directly to your sister. If your mother doesn't want to support her daughter, why does she want her SSI?


    Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • My mom doesn't exactly want to keep her SSI but she is mad about having to give it up. She wanted to know if it would go to her (my sister) still or if it would be canceled in the case of emancipation. I'm sadly just the middle man because I'm the one with internet. I know it's a sad situation.

    Answer by GothicMommy3 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • the social security would stop, if she signs her rights away the daughter would be a ward of the courts and she would not necessarily be able to stay at the boyfriends house. can't imagine a judge allowing a 15 y o to stay with the boyfriend. your mom also has to know that even now your mother is still considered her legal guardian, and if bf and dd are having sex bf can be charged with rape depending on the state (he is by law an adult she isn't) and your mother can be charged with neglect, his parents could be charged with contributing to a minor. your mom needs to talk to the local police, explain the situation to get some legal advice for your state if money is an issue. also the local job and family services could help with any support dd would need such as insurance, also woman helping woman would also be something to consider for help. so sorry your in the middle. mom needs to get the answers quickly.

    Answer by ohio4 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Thank you ohio. My mom has talked to the police and said that even if they are having sex they can't touch him because here in IL there has to be at least a 4 year age difference between them. They barely make it. Anyway, of course now my mom tells me that she's going to talk to her lawyer tomorrow. It would have been easier if she would have told me that instead have me going online. Thank you guys so much.

    Answer by GothicMommy3 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

  • Im sorry...I have no idea, but I did want to say how sorry I am that your family is in such turmoil. Sounds like your really heartbroken about it. Good luck to you.

    Answer by momofsaee4 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 26, 2010

  • ask this on

    Answer by babyfat5 at 7:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

  • The SSI would go to the family that has custody. I had a friend that was in the foster care system and got ssi from when his dad died and every foster family he had would get his check plus the check from the state for having a foster kid. I would really try to encourage your mom to get a counselor or something. Because let's be honest it prob won't work out with your sister and her bf. So when that happens there is going to be yet another legal issue.

    Answer by sweetpea532 at 9:33 AM on Jan. 27, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.