How many jobs was it, really?

White House advisers appearing on the Sunday talk shows gave three different estimates of how many jobs could be credited to President Obama’s Recovery Act.

Valerie Jarrett had the most conservative count, saying “the Recovery Act saved thousands and thousands of jobs,” while David Axelrod gave the bill the most credit, saying it has “created more than – or saved more than 2 million jobs.” Press Secretary Robert Gibbs came in between them, saying the plan had “saved or created 1.5 million jobs.”

Read more:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0110/31914.html

Sounds to me like they just make it up as they go along. Still. Does anyone have a count on how many jobs they really, really, for real, saved or created??

29again

Asked by 29again at 11:26 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Crucial question .... how many of the jobs were PRIVATE - NOT gov't / taxpayer-paid - jobs?

Not only are we getting fraudulent numbers and widely varying reports, but they are making no distinction between an economic-recovery job ( one funded by the private sector, pulling its own weight) and an economic-drain job (one funded by taxpayer money and putting us further into the hole).
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I doubt anyone really has any stats on how many jobs the recovery act saved or created. If they have the numbers, they won't release them to the public.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 11:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• onthego, that's kind of what I thought, too! But you would think that they would get their stories straight, knowing they were going on TV spouting numbers, you know?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You would think they would try, but it probably never occurred to them.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 12:15 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Oh oh can I make a arsebackwards I have no clue estimate too??? Uh uh it created OR saved a Kazillion Gajillion jobs! YAY Obama!!! I want some Obama money from his stash! Oh Thank you Obama I ain't gots to pay my mortgage nomo!

LMAO... sorry I couldn't resist! I just heard he has rehired his 08campaign team to help keep the dems seats. I am just so sick of this man in campaign mode and not actually doing anything good for this country!

They can not get their story straight because well its exactly that a story! A big arse fairy tale!

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I work for my state Department of Labor. Jobs are becoming more scarce. I do not see where any jobs have been saved, just the opposite including my husband's job. He was an executive at a major corporation. They laid off over 100 of their management staff. There are about half the jobs as there used to be on the state jobs website. The state itself is hardly hiring. Since jobs are scarce employers are not offering the pay that they once had to either. Employers can offer lower pay because some money is better than no money. They are also not honest about the unemployment rate only being at around 10% either. This does not take into account all of the unseen people who have been out of work for years such as those who just finished college, SAHM's who are trying to return to work and once you have been on unemployment for over 90 days you are no longer counted. What a way to make the number smaller huh?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Considering the Obama Administration changes it's accounting and "marketing" in order to keep pace with their abysmal failures, it seems as if the "saved or created" talking point has become passe! Now they're calling them "stimulus jobs!"

***

"those receiving stimulus funds no longer have to say whether a job has been saved or created. “Instead, recipients will more easily and objectively report on jobs funded with Recovery Act dollars,” Orszag wrote. In other words, if the project is being funded with stimulus dollars – even if the person worked at that company or organization before and will work the same place afterwards – that’s a stimulus job."

LINK

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• The problem they have is more and more people are not buying the crap they are selling. It's pretty difficult for people to be happy about all the jobs "created when they are losing their homes or just struggling to stay in them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• All I ever see and hear about is how more and more jobs are lost. So many of my friends and family members are laid off, let go, getting their hours cut. Doesn't matter to me what I read in the news and see on tv, when I'm living in real life here and can see with my own eyes.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 10:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• "LMAO... sorry I couldn't resist! I just heard he has rehired his 08campaign team to help keep the dems seats. I am just so sick of this man in campaign mode and not actually doing anything good for this country!"

This statement pretty much sums up Obama perfectly.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 25, 2010