Can you refuse all ultrasounds?

Just thinking has anyone gone through their whole pregnancy without 1 ultrasound? Did it just happen that way or did you refuse them and the doctor let you?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can refuse anything, remember that everything is optional!!

I have never had any ultrasounds with my pregnancies. Most women in the practice did the same. This is the Norm.
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I have had more ultrasounds then most with this pregnancy. I have to take a nonstress test and they check the baby every time I go. Why would you not want an ultrasound it wont harm the baby in anyway and they pretty much have to give you at least one to make sure they know how developed the baby is so they can figure out a due date.
    Anonymous

• I never had one with my third. I got lucky that I didn't need one. Just tell your dr you don't want one unless its necessary like back in the day lol But why would you willing not want to get one?
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 11:43 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Of course you can, you can refuse any/all procedures. I know plenty of women who choose to not get ultrasounds. I personally like to see my baby and know how she is growing, but a lot of people think they are unnecessary and don't want to expose the baby to the sound waves.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You can refuse ultra sounds, vaginal chrcks, IVs, inductions, drugs...well you get the hint. IT'S YOUR BODY. It does not belong to the doctor. Do your research, make decisions confidantly and don't be afraid to voice those decisions to your doctor.
    Anonymous

• Actually Anon 10:34...they don't HAVE to give you ANY ultra sounds, research DOES show that excessive and prolonged ultra sounds CAN be harmful because they can raise the temp of the amniotic fluid, AND ultra sounds are a BAD way to date pregnancies because they are so inaccurate. Babies come when they're ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't know why you would. I had probably 20 ultra sounds for my son, because they were worried with his size. Praise God - he was perfect!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I haven't declined any u/s myself, just wondering if anyone else has.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I'm refusing ultrasound with this pregnancy. I also have refused the doppler to check heart tones. We'll check with a fetoscope when I hit around 20 weeks. They actually have no basis for routine screenings, anyway. The ACOG even says they should only be done with medical indication - not that their members follow it.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasoundwagner.asp
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• you can refuse anything. ultrasounds, glucose tests, internal exams, all that stuff.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2010