Soy formula to whole milk?

My sons been on soy since I stopped breastfeeding. Every time I give him a piece of cheese or a sip of my milk shake he get the farts and sometimes some cramping. I told this to my Dr but he wants me to make the switch anyway. He says to add an ounce of milk at a time to his soy formula and he'll eventually build up a tolerance. I'm really not in a hurry. Is there a reason I should be? He just turned 1.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• No, there is absolutely no reason to push this on your son. My daughter was on soy as well. My doctor pushed me to do this also and it just never sat right with her. Years down the road we found out she was allergic to milk.

My current pediatrician says children do not need milk to grow. It is a myth. If you look up studies online they actually show that cow's milk contributes to ADD and many other health problems.

Do your research and do what you feel is best for your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2010