Got the scariest news ever when I got home from work today.

My DH called me on my way home from work & said he needed to talk because he was upset.I asked him what was wrong & he said he wanted to wait until I got home to tell me but it involved our 23 month old son. Well I guess DH opened the front door to grab his shoes and our dog ran out so he shut it and went after her. He was about 3 houses down bringing her back home and heard some lady yelling if that was his kid. Our son had walked to the opposite end of our street where there is heavy traffic and was playing in a yard of a house under construction. He was trying to jump into a ditch. Thank God he did not get hit or fall in the ditch & that woman was there. I am so freaked out that I could have lost my baby today and so mad at DH for not putting him in his play pen first. I cant even sleep because I just want to stare at my baby and be with him because Im so thankful he was not hurt. Hopefully my DH learned his lesson!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it was just an accident with the DH......but consider every day a blessing you get to wake up and be with your child
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• OMG!! Thank god that your baby is safe. My son did that to us too. My SIL came to visit and left the front door open enough for my son to squeeze through. It took a second for me to realize that he was not in the room. I opened the font door and he was standing on the edge of street/sidewalk. It is not a major street but it is always busy and cars love to speed through. I know that the only thing that saved my baby is that he has sensory propblems and he stopped at the edge to stomp on the grass. I ran and grabbed him as a van was approaching.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I don't believe that your DH intended for his son to get out. We all make mistakes.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I agree...we all make mistakes and I am sure he didn't mean for it to happen. Don;t make him any worse then I am sure he already feels. It won;t help any. Just be thankful he is not hurt but being angry and upset about it won't do anything. Turn it around...what if that happened to you would you want him making you feel worse then u already do...i am sure you wouldn't.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• How about investing in high locks on your doors just to make sure he doesn't do it again (since now he knows he CAN get out). It happens. I've picked up more than one stray child in my job as cop...as they say it only takes a second. An ounce of prevention....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Be as supportive as you can with your dh, he must feel horrified over his mistake.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I am sure he is beating himself up enough for 50 so be supportive and understand that it could have happened to you as well. We all do dumb stuff, but don't make him feel worse.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• So my daughter likes to stand up in her high chair. You have to strap her in and then tighten it as far as you can so she can't do this. One day, my husband was making lunch and our daughter was under his feet so he put her in her high chair, gave her a coloring book and some crayons to keep her occupied. He turned away to reach for something and she hit the floor head first. He has strapped her in, but hadn't tightened it all the way, so she slipped her legs out of the straps. He cried for days randomly. He was so upset and was convinced that he was the worst father ever. Your husband reacted without thinking and is probably mentally and emotionally destroying himself right now for it. Don't make him feel any worse. He knows he made a mistake, he will think next time, and he will never let something like that happen again. Be thankful that your son is safe and support your husband. Everyone makes mistakes.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I understand you being upset and terrified but if you feel that bad, imagine how your DH feels. Its scary but it happens and it happens in the blink of an eye. Just make sure your DH knows you're not mad at him and that you love him and hes NOT the worst father ever.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i am so sorry for your scare! try not to be mad at your dh. if your ds can open a door, it won't be long before he can jump a play yard! we just got childproof door knob covers, they are awesome!!! i have an escape artist child too, dh and i both have thanked our lucky stars and guardian angels a couple of times!
    try those door knob covers!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2010