help congested baby

ok. i have a 3 month old. i took him to the dr because he will sound congested sometimes. not all the time. mostly after he eats. and his chest rattles. i took him to the dr they said he has no fluid in hid lungs. but has reflux. does reflux make your baby sound congested. it worries me but i took him to two different drs and they both werent that worried about it. but i still am. can anyone give me any suggestions or have any ideas. im taking him back tomorrow and see a different dr. and if they dont give me any answers im going to vanderbilt (which is like an hour away) but they are good... help.... oh and he has sounded like that since he has been born...

a.whaley38401

Asked by a.whaley38401 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK. I believe three months is too long for a child to be congested. You are right to be concerned. I would be.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 12:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You are your child's advocate....some doctors don't take their time to give a proper diagnosis. write down all your questions before you see the next doctor. If you want additioanl tests done then request them. Don't take no for an answer.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yes, reflux can cause congestion. reflux backs fluids into the sinuses and causes prolonged congestion when not treated. What are you doing for the reflux? Reflux is a common sign of allergies, most common in babies is a milk allergy.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Definitely go to another doctor and another and another until somebody takes time to listen and to care. I can only imagine how stressful this must be on you... hang in there.
    mrs.notouching

Answer by mrs.notouching at 1:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would look up reflux websites. i have come across positioning guides that seem very helpful. i think they make "sensitive" formulas, you could try that. i have read that many infants w/ dairy sensitvities, have them to soy formula as well, but soy may be cheaper than the other special formulas out there.
    good luck!
    -you could also check w/ la leche league and see if it is not too late to bf.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• oh- it is winter, do you use a humidifier? they are awesome!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My daughter has reflux and sounds congested intermittently from it-usually when her medication needs to be adjusted for her weight gain. If two docs say its reflux, request a referral to a gastroenterologist.
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 12:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2010