questions about preschool..

My daughter will be 4 in July... and she is constantly talking about school.... well this coming fall my best friend is putting her son into preschool..and my other friend might be putting her daughter in as well... So I was thinking it might be best for mine too..... she has never really been anywhere without me, except for my moms or grandmas -- when they have babysat her ( and my 1 year old son) ....So my first question is..when you put your child in PS ..did you have a feeling of like seperation anxiety? Its months away and I already cannot sleep because I am worried / upset about not having her with me all day..but on the other hand I know it is "practice" for when she does go all day/everyday when she starts real school.

Also.. Usually how long is preschool ( hours a day / days a week) ...and are parents aloud to go with them for like the first day...or am I just suppose to drop her off and go ?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 11:47 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• PS is about three hours. My daughters first day was terrible for me. She cried as I handed her to the teacher. I cried too. Her seperation anxiety lasted for about two weeks. then after, my daughter was thrilled to attend class.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• You drop her off and go. You may cry for the first day, week or even month...but you will be doing her and her future kindergarten teacher a HUGE favor by getting her used to this now. Typical Pre-k/preschool is 3-5 days a week for 3 hours.

Anonymous

• I forgot to add that you are suppose to drop her off and go. If your daughter has the runs, they will send her home. if your daughter has a runny nose, they encourage you not to send them to school. three hours seem long but its really not.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 11:59 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• it depends on the school... ask around how long the day is etc. drop and go is actually better (although you know you will look in the window)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I know what you mean, my son has always been with my husband or I. He started asking about school when he was 2 1/2, mainly because his cousins were in daycare, so when we moved closer to my family we decided to put him in preschool. He just turned three when he started and it was the best decision we made. We were lucky, my nephew attended the preschool last year and loved it so I knew it was a great place. My son goes 3 days a week for 3 hours and next year he will go 5 days for 3 hours. I thought I was going to cry his first day, he was so excited to walk in the door I felt comfortable. He enjoys the interaction and I think it's great he has an outlet as well as me since I work from home and care for him. As far as looking for the right fit, ask your friends and show up at various preschools and ask to look around and observe the classrooms. I think overall you both will enjoy the experience.
    arianne

Answer by arianne at 12:07 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Preschool is not for a 4 year old to me. Preschool is from 3-4 not 4 and up. Every state is different, were i live in wa state preschool in our county school district is either morning or afternoon. You pick the time you like. I choose 11:55am-2:25pm monday through thursday. Every year they change the times from a few mins. my oldest daughter went to Pre-k for 2 school seasons. and she was done before she even turned 5 yrs old. She is in Half day kindergarten now from Mon-Fri 11:55am-2:25pm. I dont have $300 tuition for full day. Once she is in 1st grade she will be going full day for free. I dont have separation anxiety with my kids. I am actually glad when they are gone and out of the house. it gives me time to relax, watch tv, eat lunch, read and go online or clean.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:11 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Well the length of the day depends on the school and you have to call around (and many preschools fill up fast so you have to enroll them early to get a spot). The preschool at my kids' school is 5 days a week and the same hours as everyone else goes (7:50am-2:20pm). The class my almost 4yo takes is 2 days a week for 2 hours each day. She's been in the class since the fall when she was 3 1/2 and will be 4 in April. She'll go again next year if we're still living here.
    I didn't have any problems with separation. I'm just not like that. She's my youngest and also started school younger then my other kids but I relish the hour I have to myself when she's in school before my older kids get home. Her first day I got her settled in her chair, explained I would be back in 2 hours and left.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:12 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I forgot, we pull up to the front door, the teacher takes him out of his car seat allowing us to inform her of anything on our minds even if it's to tell her we had a great night, we pick him up at the front door, usually the teacher's assistant puts him in his car seat and tells us about his day. If he has been sick within the past 24hrs they do ask we keep him home and if he gets sick at school they will call us. They do this with everyone, at times it can take about 10-15minutes to drop him off and pick him up but it's worth it.
    arianne

Answer by arianne at 12:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• NO YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SPEND THE DAY WITH YOUR DD, HOWEVER, SOME PS HAVE TWO WAY MIRRORS SO YOU CAN OBSERVE. TRY TO LOOK AT THIS AS A TIME YOU CAN SPEND WITH YOUR SON ONE ON ONE. USUALLY PS IS FROM 9-12. IT PASSES REALLY FAST AND YOU CAN GET CHORES OR ERRONS DONE WHILE SHE IS THERE, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• OMG, I was so scred for my daughter. She cryed a little her first day and I walked her to school for weeks until she wanted to ride the bus. But she loves it now, even eats lunch there now.
    Her pre-scool is through the public school system and full day. 7:30-2:05. I was concerned about the legth of time but it works for her.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2010