Nipple Confusion

I read all this crap about nipple confusion and I would like to know how many women actually experience it. My daughter did wonderful. I only breastfed for her first 3 months. It was exhausting and I was suffering from PPD and severe anemia after an emergency c-section. My next child, I want to bf for 1 year. Anyway, I pumped on a regular basis and my daughter had NO problem going between bottle and breast. Maybe I have large nipples (Farrah Fawcet nipples...lol), but it was never a problem for us. Is it really a problem for so many other women? (In the very beginning, we used the syringe the hospital gave us as my milk didn't come in until 6 days after she was born.)

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I didn't have any problems with it either. It just depends on the baby.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• I read all about it and was certain if my daughter had a bottle or pacifier that she would get confused. She never had a bottle, but month 2 I started trying pacis and never had a problem with confusion.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 11:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Both of mine did. We had trouble getting the proper latch, so we did formula and breast milk for 1 or 2 days still it got worked out. It took a week of work to get them used to just the nipple agian. I don't think it was confusion but the bottle is easier and the nipple takes practice to get it down. But I ended up nursing both until they were at least 18 months.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• i had trouble with my milk supply for the first few months so i supplemented with formula- i never had trouble with nipple confusion even after bottle feeding- in fact by the end of his 3rd month he stopped taking the bottle because he liked the breast better- so no, i dont think nipple confusion happenes to all babies
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• You said you only breastfed for three months, why did you stop? Was it because of the exhaustion or did you think she was done? If it was the first, totally understandable, but if it was the second, then it COULD have been nipple confusion. I had problems with my son's latch and it took sheer force of will to make sure he stayed on the breast after he got bottles while in the NICU. My daughter never received a bottle.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:02 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I stopped because I was a zombie from the anemia and I just couldn't function properly. I said in my question that she had no problem with nipple confusion..the whole point of my question.
    BridgetC140

Comment by BridgetC140 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2010