Does anyone know about the stalking laws?

My 17 year old stepdaughter is being harassed by her ex-boyfriend. We have already taken a restraining order out on him, and he keeps violating it. He calls her, texts her, myspaces her, and when he sees her somewhere like Walmart, he rides by her and trys to talk to her. We are going to the sheriffs dept. in the morning to press charges for the violation. What justifies stalking though. I want to go for a stalking charge, because he has made it known numerous times that he won't stop, and will keep trying to get back with her. Help!!!

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 11:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2010 in Relationships

• She can block him on her myspace page and go private so he can't see her page but he can get in if she has any apps on there...I'd suggest she get rid of the page and create a new one under an alias...she can notify everyone on her friends list to follow her there. Call her cell phone company and change her phone number. I don't know what the stalking laws are but I am going through the same thing, my x even cyberstalks me here on cm...poses as a woman, sends me invites...it never ends...good luck with your daughter.
    Anonymous

• SINCE YOU HAVE A PROTECTION ORDER AND HE HAS VIOLATED IT, THAT AUTOMATICALLY TURNS INTO THE CHARGE OF STALKING. SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE POLICE THE FIRST TIME TO SEND A MESSAGE WE ARE NOT PLAYING. BETTER IF HE GETS CAUGHT IN THE ACT (such as at her work) SO IT DOES NOT TURN INTO HER WORD AGAINST HIS. GOOD LUCK I BET YOU ARE SCARED, THE LAW WILL PROTECT HER NO MATTER AT HOME OR WORK BUT NEEDS TO BE CALLED IMMEDIATELY
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• My DH is a cop and he said "repeated unwanted contact" so he is in violation of the restraining order, but my Dh says that you have to prove everything tape recordings video email copies etc.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:32 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I agree, he's violating it by all of the contact and what he's doing is stalking her. If you live in a small town it might be likely he'd be at the same place on a regular basis but otherwise, he IS stalking her or they wouldn't "happen" to be there at the same time.
    I'd print those pages off of my space, save the txts and call the police when he approaches her in public.
    Most normal people would leave you alone once they were approached by the authorities or knew you were serious about wanting no contact and this guy isn't so I'd be very careful.
    I don't think I'd change my phone number or delete the myspace or even block him... I'd save all of those and use them against him. When you're in the store, as soon as you spot him I'd call the police and have the paper work with you so it'd be on record that he violated the RO and hopefully after so many times he'd be arrested and maybe would finally take it serious.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2010