My Dh and I are considering adopting a special needs child internationally and have some questions. Any experinced adoptive mothers out there that can offer advise?

I'm still the research but we are definately interested. We have 2 biological children ages 3 and 7 months. We wouldn't ready to adopt for a couple of years but from what I've read so far the prep to even become eligable takes quite a bit of time plus we what to see what we're going to be looking at financially as well.

I guess my questions are:

What is the typical cost range for international adoptions?

I've read there are grants for people adopting special needs children? Are there some that are better than others?

How long is the typical wait?

What advise can you give us about preparing for adoption, agencies to use, the process, etc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Adoption

• I'm pretty sure there is an adoptive parents group in here that can help you
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:10 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Everyone's process is unique and different. I know people that waited weeks, some a few years. Yours will be different too. I grew up around foster care and adoption. I'm not saying don't do it, but I'm am going to say, please consider all involved in advance. Make sure you understand how it affects the children you have now, make sure it doesn't take away from that. Make sure you are ready for all challenges that a disabled child could need, and the probablility of bahavioral problems(depending on the childs age).Make sure you completly understand the disability of the child you are adopting so that you are sure you can give that type of help. Good Luck
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Why not adopt a special needs child in your own country? Are they not handicapped enough?
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 6:19 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• TinaN64- If you have nothing nice to say- can it. How many have you fostered or adopted domestically?Hmm... most likely none.. and it's none of your business anyway. Oh, and the SN kids that are in other countries are worse than nothing to those countries- many times they don't get the aide that is necessary in order to live.

Op- There are so many variables out there...country program, agency, what SN, etc...
    We adopted from China- NSN. Our adoption was $26K...yes, there are grants- try Shaohannah's Hope- it is founded and run by Christian music artist Steven Curtis Chapman and his wife Mary Beth.
    There are SN lists that are available to look through depending on the agency. It will also depend on which country program you are interested in...
    PM me with any questions about the process- there's too much for this post!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:21 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Yes, I adopted my dd internationally. There are different ways to fund your adoption, but the best advice I can give you is to start a savings account and stash away as much cash as you can. The worst case scenerio is getting to your childs birth country and running out of funds. If you have money stashed away, and have too much... it's a win win for everyone.

Each adoption will cost a different amount based on several factors. Which country? Amount of paperwork, agency, homestudy agency (each state is different), USCIS (used to be the INS) fees have gone up, Hague compliance classes, are you paying post placement reports up front or as they come along, plane tickets and hotels in your childs birth country. You will also want to find out what your companies family medical leave policy is for adopted children vs giving birth. I have heard fees from 21k to 80k.

Good luck, and have fun!!
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 4:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• First, you are awesome for even considering adopting a special needs child!

There are TONS of websites to help you get started.

www.rainbowkids.com can help.

You may also want to search blogs. There are alot of blogs on international adoption. They are very informative and give you first hand info. You may also want to research reactive attachment disorder as alot of children that spend time in orphanages struggle with it.

www.adopts.com
    http://international.adoptionblogs.com/

and please disregard the rude comments.. kids are kids. ALL of them deserve homes.. ever kids in different countries lol! go figure.

good luck!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 12:49 AM on Jan. 30, 2010

• These are hard questions to answer in this board. I would love to talk to you about all the qestions you have. Please contact me on here.
    ameliasmama1026

Answer by ameliasmama1026 at 4:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010