Latching on isnt working too well... so i started pumping. i pump every 2-3 hours but i only get about 1-1.5oz out of each breast, sometimes 2 oz.

my milk just came in today (or atleast they are super huge and hard and im actually leaking milk instead of trying to squeeze out colostrum. is this okay? i know it will probably increase as it comes in.. but am i doing it often enough? i usually stop pumping when it gets hard to get anything out.

mrs_skittles

Asked by mrs_skittles at 1:34 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• pump more often.

I also had better luck with hand expressing than any pump I tried. You may want to try that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• warm compresses on the breasts as your pumping works well too, something about the warmth. Contact a lactation consultant, your baby is only a few days old. Don't give up and keep trying!

Also look up the local Le Leche League chapter!

Here are resources, teh first discusses latch and propor position.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T021000.asp

www.kellymom.com

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:51 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• try pumping and reducing the pressure and then try to latch on whne the breast is not so full.
    www.kellymom.com that website is wonderful when you ar BFing alots of information!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:52 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• Also that is actually a good amount for that age to eat they should eat every 2-3 hours.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:54 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• it's very hard to keep or establish a supply... if your baby eats every 3 hours..you pump every 1 1/2 it's hard and if you just pump well you will most likely make less and less milk that's the way it is. I made more milk and it was easier to pump if my daughter was in the room. If you keep on it.. set your alarm get up and pump more times than the baby wants to eat. x two... you should do alright.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:57 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• It's not too late to get that baby to latch, keep trying! But yes, what you're getting is totally normal output. You want to keep pumping for a few minutes after milk stops coming, to make sure there isn't a second letdown.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:58 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• That is a great amount for how much you're pumping & how old your LO is. Try pumping a little more often though, just to keep your supply up. I tried to do mostly all pumping & lost my supply fairly quickly (but then again it was low to begin with). Also, make sure you're using a reliable pump with cups that fit (my first set didn't fit right & I found out that was why I wasn't pumping very much at all). I cannot stress enough though, that you have to keep it up & do it often if you want to continue pumping for more than a few weeks to a few months (it varies for each person). But like I said in the beginning, you're pumping a great amount right now!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 6:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I had trouble with latching on with my first. I just could not get her to do it and ouch!! What worked for me, finally, was sitting straight up....as straight as you can and lifting baby to you, on her side. After a few times, you can relax your posture a bit and it wasn't a problem for us anymore. I could never get much out with a pump until I got the Medela pump. It's expensive but worth every penny. Keep trying to get your baby to latch and pump when you can. It's a pain but good for you for your efforts! Good luck and I hope this helps.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:05 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• How long have you been trying? I had a hard time pumping enough at first. I think it takes a little time for your body to realize it needs to make more. The best thing for me was to get into a routine. I pump at work twice and get up in the middle of the night to pump. At first I could only get a ounce or two total, but now I'm up to 3oz on each side during each pumping. It takes a while, but your body will make it. I really think having your baby directly feeding from you once or twice a day makes a difference too. The pump can not recreate the sensation of your baby's mouth on your nipple. Also, I used the nipple shields for the first two months to breastfeed. I know some people don't recommend them, but they worked great for me and I eventually was able to stop using them all together. Give it a try.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 25, 2010