Mom came in drunk with 7 year old....was it my business?

Please don't chew me out! This has been on my mind all day. And please don't tell me what I should have done, tell me what YOU truthfully would have done wether it was right or not. A lady came into the salon today. She was drunk asking if I had time to cut her daughters hair. She left her kid in the running car alone. So she brings her in. I noticed the lady smelled like booze, and was slurring her speach. I became alarmed when she asked me to color the girls hair totally pink! I told her there was no way I would be doing such a thing. It wouldn't come out, plus I felt it was a poor judgement call. She was very nice, and fine with my professional call on it, and very polite. However, it bothered me that she got back in the car with the child in her state. I in a way was scared if I said something and I was wrong ,it would be messy. But i was also worried for the child. Continued...

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 1:35 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• at the very least i would have gotten the license plate and called the police once she was out the door, they wouldnt have to tell her who called it in and you wouldnt have had to worry about a complaint.

I am sure it wasnt an easy situation to be in, for all we know she could be diabetic and her blood sugar was wacky (which can make you act drunk) or she had some other problem. Either way like you said it happened fast and while we all know what we would want to do you just never know how you will really handle it till your faced with it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• If I had said something I was worried someone would have told me it wasn't my place. But at the same time, I worried for the childs safety even though I only knew the child for 20 minutes. Was it my business? I feel bad.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:37 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would have gone in the back shortly after noticing, called the police telling them that she was drunk, driving, and had her daughter with her. then come back out and went about my job like normal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would have told I had time but had to take a quick bathroom break beforehand. Then I would have called the police to come to the salon. If a co-worker had been available I would have had them sneak outside to get her licence plate and vehicle description.

A child in danger is everyone's business.

Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I thought about that...
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:41 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I was also alone in the salon with 5 other people waiting and one with bleach on her head. I'm pretty sure she was drunk, but I kept thinking,"what if she isn't"
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 1:43 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I would have called the police. I would have told her I'd cut the hair and that you needed to go mix the color. I would have gone and called the cops...and not given a 2nd thought about how messy things could have gotten.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I work fast food and the other night a girl that I actually went to high school with came through the drive thru drunk, with an open beer in her hand, with an infant in the back seat. I intentionally forgot some of her order, checked her license plate, ran out to the car in the parking lot as she was driving away and asked her to park because I had forgotten something and would be right back, then I called 911. I never went back out to the car, I just let her wait for the cops to show up. This is company policy where I work. If someone comes in drunk with children, we step in. I feel we should step in all of the time, but we always do when it involves children.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• you should have called the police. that child could have ended up hurt bad!
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 1:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• call the cops next time!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2010