haiti

something that depresses/upsets me.

comments like they should demolish the whole country and bring the children here - said by a foster parent.
shame on Americans we don't take care of our own ei: homeless people but we send tons of money over seas - besides all they ever did was bring drugs here - someone I know

what are your thoughts? I personally want to scream.

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:13 AM on Jan. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Maybe it is because the people here have options, they simply don't take them. Most of the homeless people here are too lazy or are on drugs. There they have NO options..
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• yea lets make waist of an entire country take the children and put them into our adoption. that is awesome
    the following comment to this persons initial comment was that he had three open spots in his home. Totallly covers a adequate percentage
    and whatever all they did was bring in drugs... :|
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:22 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• wtf?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I want to scream at the fact that we can send millions of dollars to Haiti but we DON'T help the children here. Do you know that last year alone (before the earthquake) Haiti received $912 Billion dollars in aid from other countries? And what did they do with it? Their corrupt government did nothing to help those people. So what do you think they will do with all of the money we are sending now? Do you think they will help the poor? No - they will rebuild the wealthy and leave the poor to fend for themselves like they have done all along.

It makes me sick that people in this country are going hungry. Children HERE are starving to death and just because it's not making national news no one is helping them. If you really want to make a difference, help your own!

Do I think we should make waste of Haiti? No. Do I think it's our obligation to help? No. Do I think we should help our own first? Absolutely.
    Anonymous

• The comments may not be appropriate, but that's apparently how that person feels. It's their opinion. If you don't like it, ignore it.

I don't think we should demolish the country. We should give them the tools so they can figure out how to rebuild their country and hopefully do it right. I do feel that we have given them enough. Our troops are over there helping to supervise the situation and help with security. Last estimates I saw, was we've given close to $1 Billion in relief funds. To me, that's plenty. If people are willing to adopt the already orphaned children, that's great. More power to them.

I'm getting sick and tired of people complaining about how others seem to not give a crap. Most of us do give a crap, but we also give a crap about people here in America that are suffering too.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 2:29 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I need to stop reading anything to do with Haiti in CafeMom..it's bordering on the ridiculous....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:38 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• our homeless are doing something to help... did you not hear about that? It was a natural disaster they didn't plan for this to happen to their broke asses... we are not the only ones stepping in to help out either. ethics.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 2:39 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I am so tired of these people like Anon above saying how children here are "starving" to death and how we don't help the poor here.

Hmm...welfare, food stamps, wic, food lines, homeless shelters, battered women shelters. soup kitches, food pantries, etc.

Most of the poorest people here in America don't suffer like Haiti. A homeless person has options for help here. Most people that are homeless long term here it's due to drugs and other addictions or unfortunately mental illness.

Haiti's governent being corrupt, probably true though.

Under normal circumstances I am not sending money to Haiti, but after watching the news and hearing stories about so many people having had to have amputations just to save their lives with little meds and the medics having to use saws from local stores, or people having to drink their own urine to survive.....how can you not send money for immediate relief !!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I don't know how anyone can look at the footage on tv of the little children who are obviously suffering and say we shouldn't help them. Regardless of your political views, those children need our help.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:24 AM on Jan. 25, 2010

• I think it's horrible what has happened in Haiti. I feel bad for the people too. I don't think it's such a bad idea to help them out with a little donation here and there. or in anyway we can. I help the children here as well. in anyway I can possible.with donations and what ever way possible.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:46 AM on Jan. 25, 2010